Author Topic: Recordable layouts  (Read 2125 times)

dunkers

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 26
Recordable layouts
« on: April 16, 2008, 05:03:43 pm »
Is it possible to save and restore arbitrary screen layouts?

What I'm thinking about is that normally I have SE in my preferred two-window-plus-frills layout. Sometimes I might want a different layout (say, if I'm editing a single file or need to look at lots of files at the same time). Currently my solution is to run up notepad++ rather than mess with the SE layout and then have to figure out how to get it back to normal afterwards.

What I'd envision is some dialog with a picklist of saved layouts (like the themes one, perhaps). Does this already exist and I've just not run into it yet? If not, could it exist, pretty please  ;)

P.S. What also brought it to mind right now is the imminent arrival of a bigger and (hopefully) better main monitor. It's <spit> widescreen, so I can see that my usual trick of maxing SE won't be happening much, and SE is going to slide around a bit. It would be dead useful to just click a button and have SE window(s) go to the preferred location (left 75% of the screen, for instance) with the preferred layout.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 05:06:39 pm by dunkers »

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
Re: Recordable layouts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
I work on a widescreen monitor, and I don't rearrange my windows in SlickEdit.  I wonder if you might quickly find the arrangement you like and never need to rearrange them again (in which case the development work of a generalized mechanism to have multiple saved layouts and select them and manage them might not be needed after all).

This sounds like an opportunity to write a macro that nudges various window to where you like them.

dunkers

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
You might have a point there :)

However, I'm one of those users that doesn't max their browser, so all the websites that see a 1280 wide screen and assume I'm going to view 'em at that fail. And I hate 'em for it - I'm not going to change! I'd much rather have readable stuff in portrait format, so SE windows are going to be tall and narrow rather than tall and wide.

Also, I have a second monitor and sometimes just move everything over  to that, or open another instance of SE (maybe into the same project, sometimes a different one) there. That's currently not a problem because both monitors are the same resolution, but when I had different sized monitors a while back I found that moving, say, a browser to the small one would then screw it up next time on the big one. Either that or it wouldn't fit on the small one, which kind of defeats the point of having two monitors.

The reason I mention this in relation to SE is because it's the only app I voluntarily run maxed. There's also the horrible possibility that I might like widescreen SE and have to upgrade the second monitor to match... :)

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:01:53 pm »
Right, I don't max my browser, and due to using widescreen a lot I don't max SE, either.  My SE window is about 90% of the screen height, and about 60% of the screen width.  Resizing wider/narrower doesn't affect my window layout negatively (partly because I've arranged them such that it doesn't*).

As for moving to a second monitor, that's starting to get a bit specialized, and seems like something to write yourself in a macro.  For example, have a timer that checks the screen dimensions and automatically runs your ArrangeForWideScreen() macro or your ArrangeForTallScreen() or etc macro.  I don't know if Slick-C has a way to check the screen resolution, but if it doesn't then you could import functions from a DLL to get that info if Slick-C doesn't happen to have it available (see Help->Contents->Slick-C Macro Programming Guide, scroll down and click the DLL Interface hyperlink, which will then point you at the samples\simple folder in your SlickEdit installation).

Cheers,
Chris

* Along the bottom of the SE window I have auto-hide tabs:  Search Results / Preview / References / Clipboards / Build / Message List / Output.  Along the right side of the SE window I have auto-hide tabs:  Files / Projects / Open.  On the left side of the SE window I have a narrow toolbar pane with tabs:  Defs / Class.  The rest of the SE window is the MDI area, and I have def_one_file='', so the entire rest of the SE window is generally a single editing window for the current buffer (so I typically don't need the SE window to be very wide).  And sometimes I do put two SE windows next to each other, but SE doesn't tend to like multiple instances very much due to how the state file is managed.

dunkers

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:59:46 am »
Great points, thanks. I like the idea of a separate SE instance per edit window :)

I have the monitor now but haven't had much of a play with SE. However, a good example of why I want this is Windows Explorer. That's really such a  pain because it remembers what you last did. It used to be (on Windows 2000) that if you left it open when you shut down the blasted thing would fire up again next boot. With the current one, if you set it to be a constant size then if, for instance, you make it a bit bigger or narrower to fit a bit of desktop space, that's how it'll be next time. And it's really hard to get it back to that comfortable Just Right setting. Same goes for browsers and everything: they're either nicely sized or maxed, never anything inbetween 'cos if they did get inbetween I'd be fiddling with them for ever trying to get them right again.

Except.... I use the DOpus file manage (http://www.gpsoft.com.au/). This has saved layouts, just like I was requesting at the start of this thread, and additionally lets you set a default. My normal layout is just right for showing a directory in list mode (i.e. without file details/dates/sizes/etc), and I know that whatever I do with it it will always start up with that layout. If I select a different layout optimised for video thumbnails it does matter. I can scrunch it into some tiny space or even add a second directory view, and to get back to how I want it I just start a new instance or select the appropriate layout from a list.

A result of this freedom is... well, freedom. I no longer debate whether a better view now is worth screwing up my standard layout (the answer is always 'no' anyway!) and I have not a care in the world what happens to my DOpus window. By constrast, if anyone uses my PC and even thinks about using Firefox there will be tears before bedtime, simply because they're bound to make it a little wider or something.