Author Topic: Slickedit 11 can't find some symbols, even when I'm looking right at them!  (Read 3265 times)

timur

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 120
  • Hero Points: 0
This started happening recently.  For some reason, Slickedit 11 refuses to index some symbols.  It seems completely random.  For instance, take a look at this code snippet:

Code: [Select]
void snd_soc_unregister_codec_dai(struct snd_soc_dai *dai_runtime)
{
        ...
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(snd_soc_unregister_codec_dai);

struct snd_soc_codec *snd_soc_new_codec(struct snd_soc_codec_new *template,
const char *cache)
{
        ....
}
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(snd_soc_new_codec);

I deleted the code inside the functions for brevity, and also the comments that prefix each function.  From the command line, if I do "f snd_soc_unregister_codec_dai", it will find that function.  However, if I do "f snd_soc_new_codec", it will complain that it doesn't know that symbol.

What is going on?  Why can't Slickedit index this function?  What's so special about it?

timur

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 120
  • Hero Points: 0
No one has answer to this question? 

*sigh* I'm so tired of all these bugs in Slickedit 11.  Each version is worse than the previous.

mitcheljh

  • Community Member
  • Posts: 52
  • Hero Points: 2
I had a problem with PHP similar to this.  I found the problem was with the underscores.  Have you tried removing the underscores just to see if the function then gets indexed?  I'm not sure why underscores only cause a problem in some cases.  Maybe it's a language specific problem.   :-\

Yes, SE, like all other complex applications, is not without it's occasional problems.  I've never found any issues great that it causes any loss of functionality which keeps me from getting the job done any faster.   The question is, do you receive enough benefit from SE to tolerate the very few occasional problems here and there, if any.   In my case there's no question.  I could probably count thousands of things I like about SE, so it's no big deal if there's a few things I don't like about it.   Besides, I don't know of any other software development company that accept as much user input as SE.

If the underscores do happen to be the problem, maybe someone can put in a request to have it looked at.   :D


timur

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 120
  • Hero Points: 0
I figured it out.  It's because one of the parameters is called template.

In other words, Slickedit thinks that my C file is a C++ file, so it gets confused when it sees this C++ keyword.  Can this be fixed?

rh

  • Senior Community Member
  • Posts: 126
  • Hero Points: 6
13.0 exhibits the same problem. 

Dennis

  • SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2337
  • Hero Points: 308
This will be fixed in 13.0.1.  Unfortunately, because the change is all C code (DLL's), it can not be hot fixed.  But, the good news is that in 13.0.1 the ANSI-C parser is fully specialized for ANSI-C instead of using the C/C++ parser.

For a historical perspective, because you initially thought it was a new problem.  This issue with C++ keywords in pure C code has existed since Visual SlickEdit 3.0, but was only practical to fix since the v13 release when we added the new language management infrastructure and thus had the ability to make ANSI-C it's own language.