Author Topic: Chosen operation is not currently available  (Read 21336 times)

latkinso

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Chosen operation is not currently available
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:26:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to evaluate the trial of Slickedit Core.  I installed via find updates from Eclipse 3.3.  I tried to follow the directions:

Setup on Linux
1. Open a command line utility and change to the SlickEditCoreSetup subdirectory of your Eclipse
   installation.
2. Change to the root directory of your Eclipse installation, and run the following command:
   chmod -R +x plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.3.0/slickedit
3. Run the following command as a user with root access:
   sh install_fnp.sh FNPLicensingService

Which, by the way, don't make any sense in terms of 'sh install_fnp.sh FNPLicensingService' since those two files are actually located in plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.3.0/slickedit/flex.  But I amended the command to point to those paths and ran the licensing service. 

I launched eclipse and tried to run Help->SlickEdit Licensing Manager and I got the error:
Chosen operation is not currently available

Please advise.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Chosen operation is not currently available
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
Where did you find those directions?  Those are for installation from zip archives, for people doing offline installation...not from the Eclipse Update Manager (which is what you did).  There is no SlickEditCoreSetup directory in your case.

Anyways, to get the plug-in up and running, if you downloaded/installed via the Update Manager, all you have to do is restart Eclipse, like it will tell you to do after the install.  The chmod step was already taken care of automatically during the installation.  Then when Eclipse restarts and you go to activate something from SlickEdit in Eclipse...the licensing process will begin, and it will walk you through it.

It looks like your installation should still be fine...what distro are you running, and what Java version/vendor are you using?  Is Eclipse or your Java 64 bit?  Was the Eclipse installation installed with your system or did you actually install it from eclipse.org?  To run the plug-in on Linux you need 32-bit Java from Sun version 1.5 or later.  You also need to make sure you have libXp installed on your system (capital X).

If all this checks out, and you are still getting the error, run eclipse like this: eclipse -vstrace.  Then try to activate something from SlickEdit.  You will get some debug output in the console...copy that output and either attach it here as a txt file, or if you would rather you can send it into support@slickedit.com and reference this thread.

- Ryan

latkinso

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »
Hi,

Ok, I wasn't sure about the instructions, I tried those from the user guide after the installation through the update manager didn't work out of the box after I restarted Eclipse.

- I downloaded my eclipse myself, it did not come with my distro.  I've been keeping it and CDT up to date myself.

- I am running a 64-bit OS

- I do have libXp installed.  Output from yum
libXp.i386                               1.0.0-8                installed
libXp.x86_64                             1.0.0-8                installed

- I have the 64 bit version of Java installed:

java -version
java version "1.5.0_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode)

Can I have a 32-bit version running side-by-side?

- How do I check 32/64 bit-ness of Eclipse?

I did the -vstrace thing and I got this output, which points to the problem:
com.slickedit.core: Could not load library: .../eclipse/plugins/com.slickedit.linux.libs_3.3.0/slickedit/bin/libvsenv.so: Can't load IA 32-bit .so on a AMD 64-bit platform

So slick edit is 32-bit only?

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
That could be an erroneous error message from Java...there are some 1.5.0_x releases that spit out that error for different problems.  But, yes, the native SlickEdit libraries are only 32-bit...you can install a 32-bit version of Java with no problem on your system, as long as your OS is set up to run 32-bit applications.  You will just need to run Eclipse with that 32-bit Java...you can do this easily by putting the bin directory of this Java installation in your PATH before anything else.  I think you can also tell Eclipse which VM to run by using the -vm flag. You can still use your 64-bit Java for anything else you like (building, running other applications, etc.).

How do I check 32/64 bit-ness of Eclipse?

If you go to Help > About Eclipse and click Configuration Details, I think it should say somewhere in there.

Let me know how it goes.

- Ryan

latkinso

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
Hm.  Ok, well I gave up for now and downloaded a copy of SlickEdit (standalone).  Are there advantages to running via eclipse?  The only ones I can really think of are a familiar look and feel, and concurrent access to other eclipse plugins.

Is that true?

Thanks

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
Are there advantages to running via eclipse?  The only ones I can really think of are a familiar look and feel, and concurrent access to other eclipse plugins.

We haven't started adding any unique functionality to the editor that only exists in the Eclipse environment.  Most all the unique features we add to our plug-in product are those which help the editor integrate better with Eclipse functionality.  Core is for those who are working in Eclipse and want the most powerful editor available.  If you are not married to the Eclipse environment, by all means, try out the standalone product :).

- Ryan