Author Topic: SlickEdit 2008/13 doesn't remember "navigate to symbol definition"  (Read 8043 times)

davew

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Since I have switched from 12.03 to 13.0.0, I will occasionally be presented with the dialog asking me if I want to navigate to the C/C++ prototype or the symbol definition. Even though I have chosen to always navigate to the symbol definition, it still presents me with this dialog occasionally. I haven't been able to pinpoint any characteristic of the symbol that may cause this yet.

I have installed the latest hotfix, but the same issue exists. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

mikesart

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 11
Re: SlickEdit 2008/13 doesn't remember "navigate to symbol definition"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:56:58 pm »
I am. Exact same scenario as you and that dialog is popping quite a bit for me (all C++ here). Haven't had time to nail down what the reason is though...

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »
Same as what mikesart said.  It isn't 100% reproducible for me (a.k.a. I nailed down 100% consistent repro steps yet, which takes time), which is why I haven't reported it yet.  I also haven't checked yet if it may be Working As Intended.

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 490
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:40 pm »
If the symbol is overloaded, you will still be prompted to select which overload to jump to.  Also, on occasion, if your tag file is far enough out of date, a symbol may appear to be overloaded because the tag file has an out-dated line number and/or signature for the symbol and the current file has another line number and/or signature.  Even if you had selected to always navigate to the symbol definition, if the symbol is overloaded, you will be prompted with all overloads and prototypes.  It makes sense, if you are going to be prompted, you might as well be given all the choices.

Next time you get the prompt when you don't expect it, take a snapshot of it and post it here, and I'll explain why you are getting the prompt.  You may want to also take a snapshot of your Context Tagging® options to prove that you have it set to navigate to symbol definition.

davew

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 07:49:50 am »
Thanks for the feedback. When it happens again, I will get a screen capture and post. Also, I will not chose to always go to the definition and see if it will happen consistently. If it does, I will retag and see what happens.

By the way, this never happened in 12.0.3 and it always went to the definition correctly.

davew

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:43:40 am »
OK, it happened again. There is no function overloading - I am using C. However, when I went to check the "Go to Definition navigates to symbol definition (proc)" setting, it was not checked. I always check this and I check it when the dialog pops up, so something is removing the setting. It should be easy to find. If I had time, I would do it now, but I have to get back to work and that is why I pay for maintenance  :).

I checked it (again) and will be watching for it to be unchecked in the future.

mikesart

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:24 pm »
I second this. It happened to me yesterday and when I went to take a picture of tools/options it was unchecked. Is it possible to grep all the macros for code that could unset that option?
Thanks,
 -Mike

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:34:52 pm »
I have found the problem and will update the hotfix later today.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »
Awesome, thank you!

mikesart

• Community Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:35:20 am »
Do you mind if I ask what the problem was? Just want to know what I was doing that caused this to happen. I stuck in a bunch of debug squirties after the last time but haven't had it happen again. And a bigtime thank you for fixing it!

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 01:41:24 pm »
It was a bug, not anything you were doing.  It was the sort of thing that worked the first time, and worked the second time (but that's where the settings came unglued), and then would exhibit the problem the third time.  Easy thing for our testing to miss.  Having your screenshot helped, it showed it was a real problem and pointed me in the right direction.

Bugs are usually very easy to fix once they are isolated and reproducible.  This is a classic example.  Thanks again for helping us isolate the problem.

davew

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:18:14 pm »
Great news Dennis and thanks for the great support from the SlickEdit team.