Author Topic: Native OS/X version plans  (Read 14792 times)

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
Re: Native OS/X version plans
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
SlickEdit's project tool window and project properties files tab do not support drag drop on any platform.  The project tool windows has some limited cut/paste support which is useful for moving files into different folders (assuming you are using custom view).  Drag drop is a handly feature to have though.

garion911

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »
I could swear that I remember drag/drop of some sort in the project window.. Maybe I'll pull up my old Linux version and see what it was..

In any case, consider it a feature request :)

Ian Ameline

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 7
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
I updated to that more recent version of the x-server -- and things are somewhat better -- but it doesn't look in my user font directory only the system one -- not too big a problem. Cut/paste now finally works for between slickedit and mac apps.

The alt key does not work all that well... and the sensitivity to the mouse scroll wheel is very different as compared to nativ apps.

The only other major irritant (and I'm sure someone here knows the trick of fixing it) is to stop X from starting up xterm when X starts -- anyone know how to do this?

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »
Maybe this helps with the xterm issue ... HS2

magpie

• Hero Points: 5
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 03:37:47 AM »
We have looked at this issue extensively with the hope of producing a native version. We even looked at QT as an option. Using QT or writing the code directly using the Mac APIs would require us to re-implement our window handling, font handling, event processing, every dialog, every menu, and every tool window. While this isn't 100% of the code, I would consider this to be a "full rewrite" due to the magnitude of the change. Also, unless we selected the QT route, it would leave us with a version that is so different from the other platforms that many features and defects would have to be implemented twice.

You must have abstracted "window handling, font handling, event processing, every dialog, every menu, and every tool window" somehow for the Windows version, so how come its so hard to do on the Mac (using QT or otherwise) ?

By the way, Mac sales went up 50% in the last quarter compared to a year ago, and I suspect developers are leading the charge, because with the degree of Windows integration and compatibility provided by the Intel Macs (eg. Parallels, a $70 program with "Coherence" mode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9jNNeEd98) the Mac is the best platform to run even Windows software !

lclevesy

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
Thank you for your interest in SlickEdit offering a native Mac version. We are excited to announce that native Mac support will be offered in 2012. View the announcement here: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=7110.0.