Author Topic: vsdebugio can not be started  (Read 4179 times)

d.spiridenok

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
vsdebugio can not be started
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:32:00 am »
Hallo all,

I'm running SlickEdit 12.0.3 on SUN Solaris 8.

When i create a new C/C++ project i can run SlickEdit debuger UI for my project.
In the project settings i have
vsdebugio -prog "<my_executable>"
for Debug settings. When i start debuger from main menu->Debug->Start i get the SlickEdit (built-in) debuger window opened.
There i can watch variables, play with breakpoints etc. with no problems.

When i create a new general project i still want to use the SlickEdit debuger UI.
In the project setting i also use
vsdebugio -prog "<my_executable>"
for Debug settings. However when i do menu->Debug->Start i get:
$ "/usr/local/asm/se/bin/vsdebugio" -port 8001 -prog "<my_executable>"
Exiting with error: -100

Of coz nothing gets opened. Sometimes i dont get this error but then the SE just hangs. The only way is to kill the application.

The source files i use in both cases are real C++ files, built and compiled with the same options.
The executable can be debuged in an external debuger if i have the following Debug settings in the general project:
external_debuger "<my_executable>"

Question: how can i use the SlickEdit built-in debuger UI for general project?
Question: what does error -100 mean when starting vsdebugio?

Thanks in advance for info!

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: vsdebugio can not be started
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:10 pm »
The project type you select configures the tool chain you intend to work with. It is very difficult (nigh impossible) to configure a General project to work with the supported C/C++ tool chains...and why would you want to? What does the General project offer that you cannot do with the C\C++ project type?

The General project type exists for projects that use tool chains that aren't predefined in SlickEdit.

d.spiridenok

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:22:56 pm »
That's exactly why i use the general type of project - my tool chain is not really predefined by SlickEdit. I have my own version of make command, my makefiles are hardcoded (both C/C++ files and libraries/executables names), the directory structure is fixed, the include paths are predefined, etc.

The only thing i want from SE is to run debugger UI from it (even with a different version of gdb than the default, but this can be solved pretty easy).

Can i find somewhere information how to set up the tool chain for a SE project?
What does the cryptic vsdebugio return code -100 mean?

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 03:25:46 pm »
Using your own makefile or make command does not change the tool chain, from our perspective. The tool chain is comprised of the compiler/debugger you are using. If you are using the GNU compiler or debugger, you need to use the GNU C/C++ Wizard. You can then select Project > Project Properties, and use the Build tab to configure how the builds are done. In your case, you would select "Build with a user-maintained makefile or custom build command". Be sure to click OK, and then come back in to Project Properties to make any additional changes, since selecting this option will change the options on the other tabs (but only if you click OK).

Even if your custom build command doesn't use the GNU compiler, you will need to use that project type to use SlickEdit's front end to GDB or other GDB-derived debugger. The SlickEdit front end will not work with any debugger that does not already have a built-in project type. So, you can configure the debug command in the General project type, but as you saw it will just launch an external debugger.

That error message, "vsdebugio return code -100" is a "general socket error". It means that SlickEdit cannot communicate with the debugger. This wouldn't be surprising if you're trying to get the General project type to work with gdb.

ScottW, VP of Dev

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:07:51 pm »
I'm told you can also use the "Generic C/C++" project type with the GNU tool chain.