Author Topic: no more references  (Read 6408 times)

kguarino

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
no more references
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:52 pm »
I get an error "no more references" when I try to display references for a symbol. Looks like something shows up for a fraction of a second in the reference dialog tree but then disappears and then I get this error. I've tried rebuilding the tag file. I've tried rebuilding the project. No luck. This was working at one time.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 335
Re: no more references
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:01:38 pm »
I get an error "no more references" when I try to display references for a symbol. Looks like something shows up for a fraction of a second in the reference dialog tree but then disappears and then I get this error. I've tried rebuilding the tag file. I've tried rebuilding the project. No luck. This was working at one time.

What version of slickedit and what O.S.?

See this thread where Dennis describes how "find references" works
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3170.msg13014#msg13014

Did you generate cross references when you built the tag file?  Does push_tag (Ctrl-dot) find the definition of the symbol?  Does the find symbol toolbar display anything for the symbol?  Does find reference work for any symbols at all?

Graeme

kguarino

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:53 pm »
Windows XP, Slickedit 11.0.0. I'm not sure if I generated cross-references when I generated the tag file. How do I know? Ctrl-dot works fine. I am able to go the definition immediately whenever I select any symbol. I don't know what you mean by the symbol toolbar unfortunately. Find reference does not work for any symbols.

If I check '"Go To Reference" only lists references' under tagging options, then I no longer get the error, but I still get no references other than the definition. The size of my tag file is comparable to other developers who's functionality works fine.

If I check 'Find references incrementally', the reference dialog does now show a list of filenames in the left side pane in the reference dialog, which I suspect have references to the symbol I am looking for. But if I click on the filename, the right side pane takes me to the beginning of the file (not the actual reference line), and the string "NO REFERENCES" is appended to the end of the pathname in the left side pane. This occurs for all files listed in the left pane.

I appreciate all your help!

hs2

• Hero Points: 291
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:52:37 pm »
Check 'Tools>Tag Files' and select or r-click a tag file and select 'Rebuild Tag File'.
Select the 'Generate References' checkbox.
HS2

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:20:50 pm »
kguarino

The find symbol toolbar was new to slick V12.  Checking "goto references only lists references" means that slick won't try and go to the first reference - it leaves the cursor where it was when you hit Ctrl-/  -  I guess the error "NO REFERENCES" comes only when you try and go to a reference.  It's not likely to be the problem but just in case - check the value of "def_cb_max_references"  - use set-var on the command line and enter def_cb_max_references to see what the value is.  It should be 1024 or so.

In case there's something messed up in your state file, a reasonably easy thing to try is this
  • Back up your entire configuration folder - see help-> about for the location of your config directory
  • Close slickedit, then delete or rename the file vslick.sta that's in your config folder
  • Restart slickedit  - you'll probably be asked to rebuild some of the "compiler" tag files and select an emulation or something.  When you get through that, see if find references is working.  If it still isn't working, try rebuilding the tag file.  Generate cross references should be selected by default.

If that doesn't help, another thing you could try is a brand new config folder.  One way to do this is to temporarily rename your existing config folder, then start slick.  When it finds no config folder, it will create a new one - then you could try opening one of your existing projects.  Just in case this method imports some bad settings from a previous config folder, you could also try using either the -sc switch when you invoke slickedit, to specify the name of a new empty configuration folder, or use the VSLICKCONFIG environment variable to specify an empty folder for your configuration.

Another easy thing to try is rebuilding the tags.e file in the slick installation macros folder  - open it in slickedit and select "load module" on the macro menu.  As well as rebuilding the .ex file, this will reinitialize global variables in that file.

Graeme

kguarino

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:35:45 pm »
1) Verified that I was in fact generating references. I was.
2) "def_cb_max_refererences" was already set to 1024.
3) rename vslick.sta - no help, problem still existed.
4) rename entire config folder - Problem Fixed!!! I was able to load existing project workspace with no problem.

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I still have the old config folder if you're interested.

Regards,

Kevin

Graeme

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:48 pm »
1) Verified that I was in fact generating references. I was.
2) "def_cb_max_refererences" was already set to 1024.
3) rename vslick.sta - no help, problem still existed.
4) rename entire config folder - Problem Fixed!!! I was able to load existing project workspace with no problem.

Thank you very much for the quick responses. I still have the old config folder if you're interested.

I'm curious about what could have caused this.  It sounds like you've created a new config folder from scratch without copying anything from your old config folder.  Is that correct?  If so, maybe you could compare vusrdefs.e in your old config folder with your new vusrdefs.e.  Also, you could try running slickedit from your old config folder, but replace the old vusrdefs.e with the one from your new config folder and see if the find referecnes problem is still there.  To do this, you need to run slickedit from the old config folder, then load the new vusrdefs.e.  To load the new vusrdefs.e, you specify its name including path, on the slick command line and press RETURN.  e.g. type c:\new-config\vusrdefs.e on the slick command line.  There are some other files in your config folder that hold your customised setup but it seems unlikely they could cause a find references problem.  If you want, you could compare some of new config files with the old ones - e.g. vusrs11g.e.  It would be hard to compare vrestore.slk  - but you could delete the old vrestore.slk and see if the find references problem goes away.

Graeme