Author Topic: real time spell check?  (Read 8298 times)

sgranado

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
real time spell check?
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:15:22 PM »
Does SE have real time spell checking similar to Eclipse, firefox, and many word processors? 

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Re: real time spell check?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:07:28 AM »
Based on my limited knowledge and the lack of response to the following thread, http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3341.0, I believe the answer is no.

SE does so much other stuff in the background and, since almost all of most anyone's code would fail a normal spell check, it seems of limited utility (unless you are using it to edit plain text files, perhaps).   I'd rather have SE keeping up with syntax coloring, tagging, and all the stuff it really excels at -- IMHO :).  Real time checking would, likely, add more timer events and slow down normal editing.

You can always go to Tools > Spell Check and choose what parts of your code you want checked (Comments&Strings, current word, selection, multiple files, ...).  Of course you have to remember to do it.  Maybe an option to run a spell check at save (similar to a lot of e-mail programs) would be useful (allowing options of what parts of the code to check).

Regards
Les

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
You are correct: SlickEdit does not have that capability. I've been thinking about it and I'd really like to work on some improvements. As always, it's a matter of time and priorities.

Dan112123

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
You are correct: SlickEdit does not have that capability. I've been thinking about it and I'd really like to work on some improvements. As always, it's a matter of time and priorities.

Yeah especially knowing that VisualAssist from WholeTomato had that feature for 5 years now.  ;)

hs2

• Hero Points: 292
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
I bet this feature is switched OFF quite often ;)
Last time I had to assist a teammate using VAX w/ RT spell check ON and the sources were cluttered with red wavy underlines due to lots of technical jargon - pretty annoying ...
HS2

mwb1100

• Hero Points: 13
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:41:07 AM »
I've got VAX for when I'm using Visual Studio - I don't find the spell checking to be intrusive.  I do not notice a difference in performance when it's on or off, and the red wavy lines aren't any more distracting than they are in Word.

Note that the spell checking against a dictionary is done only in strings and comments.

VAX also optionally marks mistyped symbols (symbols where there is no corresponding declaration) similarly.  The mistyped symbols are not checked against a dictionary, but are rather symbols which do not have a declaration in scope.  So you can misspell your variables without being bothered as long as you declare them misspelled (if that makes sense).

Kohei

• Hero Points: 25
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »
Well, I'd probably use RT spell check for plain-text editing.  If it's only enabled for plain-text mode, then it would not be that intrusive.  Think of it as a live error for plain text "code". ;)