Author Topic: Search results are backwards  (Read 4693 times)

PouncingPanda

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Search results are backwards
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:12:07 AM »
On my work machine my 13.0.0 SE install (Win Vista) when I do a search the output to the Search Results window is in reverse order to where the results are actually found.  In other words searches at the end of the file appear at the top of the list and Ctrl+G (find next search result) causes the curser to move up the file, not down (it is going down the results in the Search Results window).  I know about the "Search Backward" option under Tools->Options->Editing->Search but changing that value has no effect.

Has anybody else seen this?

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Search results are backwards
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
On my work machine my 13.0.0 SE install (Win Vista) when I do a search the output to the Search Results window is in reverse order to where the results are actually found.  In other words searches at the end of the file appear at the top of the list and Ctrl+G (find next search result) causes the curser to move up the file, not down (it is going down the results in the Search Results window).  I know about the "Search Backward" option under Tools->Options->Editing->Search but changing that value has no effect.

Has anybody else seen this?

It sounds like you're doing "find in file" with "list all occurrences" checked.  In the search dialog "Find" tab, there is a checkbox called "search backward" which is grayed out when "list all occurrences" is checked.  However, the "search backward" checkbox remembers the last state that you set it to (you should be able to see a "grayed out" check) so if the last find operation you did with "list all occurrences" unchecked had "search backward" checked, then the results of the "list all occurrences" search will be in reverse order as you are seeing.  So...  uncheck "list all occurrences" then uncheck "search backward", then check "list all occurrences" again.  The help file explains when the default search options get used (tools->options->editing->search, click help or press F1).

Graeme

Lee

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 130
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »
That looks like a bug, it is supposed to ignore the Search Backwards flag when using List all Occurrences option, it even disables the option the UI for Find.  I'll file a defect and have that fixed.

PouncingPanda

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:56:29 PM »
Thanks and yes, that was it.