Author Topic: bufftabs tooltip display problem in external monitor (v13.0.1)  (Read 4914 times)

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
I connected an external monitor on my laptop. And when I place the SE window in my primary monitor (1400*1050), the file bufftab tooltip is OK. But when I place the SE window in my external monitor (1280*1024), the tooltip was always at the right edge but not near the mouse cursor.

Screenshots:
* display @ primary monitor
* display @ external monitor
* my monitor settings

Phil Barila

• Hero Points: 61
Re: bufftabs tooltip display problem in external monitor (v13.0.1)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Been there since 12.0.3, at least.  Fine when the external monitor is on the right side, broken when the external monitor is on the left.

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
From my (limited) experience with multiple monitors and everything I've ever read on this issue, it is a bad idea to put monitor 2 to the left of monitor 1 because of the way the pixel coordinates are defined (the origin is at the upper left of monitor 1 and negative coordinates can cause a lot of applications to get confused -- not necessarily because of the application, but because of the APIs they have to use to address the displays).  To be fair, I'm not sure this is strictly a Windows issue.

Anyway, I'd recommend putting the #2 monitor on the right of #1.

My 2 cents.

Regards
Les

Ding Zhaojie

• Hero Points: 37
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 08:49:18 AM »
From my (limited) experience with multiple monitors and everything I've ever read on this issue, it is a bad idea to put monitor 2 to the left of monitor 1 because of the way the pixel coordinates are defined (the origin is at the upper left of monitor 1 and negative coordinates can cause a lot of applications to get confused -- not necessarily because of the application, but because of the APIs they have to use to address the displays).  To be fair, I'm not sure this is strictly a Windows issue.

Anyway, I'd recommend putting the #2 monitor on the right of #1.

My 2 cents.

Regards
Les

Other applications works fine indeed. A robust application should deal with the negative coordinates correctly.

btw: I put the logical monitor 2 on the left is because the physical monitor is just put at the left side of my desk. I put my laptop at the center, and put my mouse pad, phone, books at the right side. So if I put the logical monitor on the right, moving cursor between two monitors would be weird.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »
Comment out the following line in showSSTTooltip() in sstab.e.

Code: [Select]
   //if (x < 0) x = 0;   <-- Remove this line.
It shouldn't be there.