Author Topic: Help with the open tool window in Slickedit 14.0.1.2  (Read 3659 times)

schugh

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Help with the open tool window in Slickedit 14.0.1.2
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:30 AM »
Hi, could someone tell me if there is an option to fix what I find to be quite annoying behaviour in the latest version of slickedit.
In the open tool window, the bottom half has the folder tree displaying and the top half has the file list.
When I select a folder in the folder tree, I want slick to show the list of files in that folder.
It doesn't do that unless I double click the folder in the folder tree. This is not how things work normally and is really quite frustrating.
Especially since double clicking also expands and collapses the node in the folder tree.

Is there an option to make this behave normally?

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Help with the open tool window in Slickedit 14.0.1.2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:12:38 PM »
We followed some of the conventions used in Windows Explorer when authoring the new Open toolwindow, but we did make some decisions that departed from their norm. We wanted to make the tree fast for keyboard navigation, and listing the contents of each directory as you move around really slows this down. Once you're highlighting a directory you want, you can press Enter (instead of double-clicking) to make that the active directory and display the file list for it.
We designed it primarily for opening files, with a strong bias toward making it responsive when you're in a directory with a lot of files, or with an open project/workspace with a lot of files.

So even though there is not currently an option to mimic Explorer behavior, we can most likely add one. I'll log it as a feature request.

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Help with the open tool window in Slickedit 14.0.1.2
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:18:43 PM »
In the meantime, you might find the explore (aka finder) command line command to be useful. It will bring up Windows Explorer/ Mac Finder/ Gnome Nautilus , with your SlickEdit current working directory reflected. It's also available from the Tools > OS File Browser menu.
If you invoke it on the SE command line, you can pass it a directory argument, in case you don't really want the current working directory.