Author Topic: Quick file find  (Read 4480 times)

Christoph

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Quick file find
« on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
One of the cooler features of the IDE some of my other coworkers use is the ability to open a find files (of sort) dialog, start typing in the file name and it quickly locates all the files which have that (partial) name within an entire directory tree, wherever those files might exist within that tree.  I'm curious if SE2k8 has a feature like that?  I've been looking around in the menu options and in the help but haven't run across anything like that.  The one thing that I did find that sounds like it might be kind of (sort of) similar is the Find File dialog (find_file() from the command line), but I couldn't get that to do anything regardless of what information I entered or settings I selected.

thnx,
Christoph

Graeme

• Hero Points: 347
Re: Quick file find
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »
find_file works for me.  You can also get to it from the file open dialog  - click the find file button at the bottom.  What version of slickedit are you using?

Graeme

Christoph

• Hero Points: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »
find_file works for me.  You can also get to it from the file open dialog  - click the find file button at the bottom.  What version of slickedit are you using?

find_file opens up the dialog, so it's working for me in that sense.  But when I enter my criteria and click 'Search' nothing happens.  I'm setting:

File Pattern: *.inc
Directory: \root\path\to\my\project\
Search String: myFilesName

I don't really change any of the other settings.  Searching on that (or various derivations; *.* for File Pattern, for example) also don't seem to do anything.

I'm using SE2k8 v13.0.0

thnx,
Christoph

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »
The "Search String" part is text that you are looking for inside the file(s)'s content.  It is not part of the file name.  Use the "File Pattern" to match against file names.

But I wonder, are you trying to find files in arbitrary folders, or are you looking for a list of all files in your project/workspace that incrementally matches what you type?  That would be the Files toolbar, which you can get to by right-clicking on a toolbar and then choosing "Files" from the context menu that pops up listing all the various toolbars.