Author Topic: Wrap at beginning/end item always set to default string "prompt every time"  (Read 3721 times)

kennethz

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Hi, Guys:
  I've used Slickedit 2008 for editing my code; but I found that this item "Tools\Options\Editing\Search\Wrap at beginning/end" always set to the default string "Prompt every time".

You can set it and save it in this dialog box; it seems okay; but it will reset onto the default string "Prompt every time" after you used "Find" or ctrl hot key "CTRL+F".

Thanks.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 322
Hi, Guys:
  I've used Slickedit 2008 for editing my code; but I found that this item "Tools\Options\Editing\Search\Wrap at beginning/end" always set to the default string "Prompt every time".

You can set it and save it in this dialog box; it seems okay; but it will reset onto the default string "Prompt every time" after you used "Find" or ctrl hot key "CTRL+F".

Thanks.

This is a bug.  You should report it to support@slickedit.com

It looks like if you set the option to "on", it reverts to "prompt" by itself whether you use the "Find" dialog or not and if you set it to "prompt" it reverts to "off" by itself.  If you set it to off it stays off.

The options in tools->options->editing->search are referred to as "default options".  If you look at the topic "Search Options" in SlickEdit help, you can see when the default options are used  - in the "Find" tool window, they are used only the very first time you run the "Find" dialog, unless you have the option tools->options->editing->search->"Initialize with default options" set true  - so make sure this setting is false.  As long is this is false the default setting for the "Wrap" option won't affect the Find dialog and whatever setting you select in the Find dialog itself will always be used.

Hence, bring up the find dialog and in the "Wrap at beginning/end" checkbox, select whatever you want and it will always be used from then on.  If you press F1 in the find dialog, you will be taken to the help info for this.  If you scroll up to the start of the "Find and Replace Tool Window", you will see the tool window has a context menu.  This means if you right click in the find tool window you get a useful menu of things you can do, including save search expressions and clear highlights.  In the find dialog you can also use F7 and F8 to step through previous "searches" that you've done.  (these work in the diffzilla dialog too).  Search for F7 in slickedit help and you'll find it mentioned in a rather curious alternative description of the find/replace tool window.

The bug you've discovered affects incremental search, quick search and command line search too.

Graeme
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:18:37 am by Graeme »

Graeme

• Hero Points: 322
I discovered a way to get the wrap option in tools->options->editing->search to stick correctly.  Open the find dialog and set the options according to what you want to have for defaults, then right click and select "set current options as default".  Then right click again and select "configure options" and check what they have.  Seems to work for me.

Graeme

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 36
This is indeed a bug, and it has been fixed for 13.0.1.  Thanks for reporting it.