Author Topic: Slick Edit hang  (Read 4380 times)

bbeauchaine87408

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Slick Edit hang
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »
Any hints on how to troubleshoot a complete SlickEdit hang? 

I've been working with a Visual Studio 2005 solution in SE for about a month now, side by side with VS.  Today, SE won't open the project.  It starts to paint the screen, then just hangs, completely utilizing one of my CPUs.  Recalling previous behavior, I believe that it's getting stuck trying to make the connection to the Microsoft TFS provider for the project because I'm not getting the login dialog that asks me for my TFS server credentials, and because I can fire up SE from the command line on a project that is not under MSSCCI control. 

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Slick Edit hang
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
Any hints on how to troubleshoot a complete SlickEdit hang? 

I've been working with a Visual Studio 2005 solution in SE for about a month now, side by side with VS.  Today, SE won't open the project.  It starts to paint the screen, then just hangs, completely utilizing one of my CPUs.  Recalling previous behavior, I believe that it's getting stuck trying to make the connection to the Microsoft TFS provider for the project because I'm not getting the login dialog that asks me for my TFS server credentials, and because I can fire up SE from the command line on a project that is not under MSSCCI control. 

I can make some wild guesses...

You could try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F2 or Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F9 when slick is hung and see if it breaks out of the hang.  If it does, you'll get a dialog box telling you where it was.

In slickedit macros folder file vc.e, you'll see some calls to "scc" type functions like _SccInit().  e.g. in the function vcSetupOnOpen().  You could try adding some debug code to this code to see if slick is hanging whilst doing the scc stuff.  If you want to do that, copy the vc.e file to a folder of you own, add some debug code and then load it using the "load module" command on the macros menu in slickedit.  First I recommend you back up your entire configuration folder.  To add debug code to vc.e, you can call the say function  e.g. say("hello") and the string hello will appear in a "debug dialog box".  You can also call _message_box(), message() and messageNwait() functions  - see the help for info on these.

Other things you can do, you've probably thought of  -  do you have any idea if anything in the project has changed recently?  Do you have an old copy of the solution/project files you could try.  If you create a brand new VS project with SCC control, can slick open it.

It probably won't help, but sometimes a solution to weird problems with slick is to delete the vslick.sta file in your configuration folder (with slick closed) then restart slick.  Backup your configuration folder first though so it's easy to revert to what you previously had.  Sometimes deleting vrestore.slk can also help.

If you decide to add debug code to vc.e, when you want to go back to the original vc.e, just browse to the vc.e in the slick installation macros folder and do the "load module" command on it.

Graeme