Author Topic: SlickEdit v.10 and MacOS X Intel  (Read 5032 times)

DougSO

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit v.10 and MacOS X Intel
« on: September 01, 2006, 09:00:55 AM »
I recently upgraded to an MacPro tower (Intel-based) and did the usual transfer of all apps from my G4 to the new machine.  SlickEdit v.10 was one of these apps.  After installing X11 (universal), I tried launching SlickEdit.  It crashed on startup.  I then deleted it and tried to re-install from CD.  When asked for the key, I entered it perfectly and was told this was an invalid key.

So, I have two questions: 1- should SlickEdit v.10, which is not universal, run on an Intel-based Mac at all, and 2- is the license mechanism not seeing an Intel Mac as a valid target for my key?

Doug

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: SlickEdit v.10 and MacOS X Intel
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:10:43 PM »
Hi Doug,

You're one lucky dog to get a machine like that. Unfortunately, SlickEdit v10 was built only for PowerPC Macs, since the Intel Macs weren't available at that time. Rosetta allows some applications that were built for the PowerPC to run on the Intel Macs, but we make no claim whether SlickEdit will work and do not support that configuration. So your best bet is to upgrade to v11, which is a universal binary and will definitely run on your new MacPro.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the license key. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware you are running on--it should just be matching the key to the build. Call up support and they should be able to help you.

--Scott

DougSO

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit v.10 and MacOS X Intel
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:08:38 PM »
I was able to figure out the license key issue.  I used the migration assistant to move everthing from my iMac G5 to the new MacPro.  As a part of this, the directory "~/.slickedit" got moved across.  Deleting this directory allowed the license key to work again.

After re-intalling, Slickedit v.10 crashes on startup in the routine: 0x9bdf7e5c: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.dylib : _InitPerDisplay + 0x1b8.  Perhaps this has something to do with the MacPro's being 64-bit.  Also, I'm using a 30" monitor so that might have some effect when intializing the display.

I downloaded the trial for v.11 and it is working fine so it seems that on a MacPro, you "have" to upgrade to v.11 for it to work.

Doug