Author Topic: Mark a post as read without reading it  (Read 7406 times)

LBCEi

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 21
Mark a post as read without reading it
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:03:55 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the SlickTeam doesn't really have direct control over this issue but they may have a hint on how to do this or may have some influence with the provider of the forums tool (SMF?) to provide this suggested feature.

I read the forums on an almost daily basis by looking at "unread posts since last visit".  Many times I know that I am really not interested in reading a certain post in the list but, in order to keep it from showing up in "unread posts since last visit" tomorrow, I click on the post, wait for the browser to start opening the selected post and then click the Back button to return to the "unread posts since last visit" page.  Depending on the speed of the connection, this can take many seconds.

It would be nice if there was a way to mark a post as read without actually opening it, i.e., "Don't read but remove from unread list".  Obviously this is description is too long but a "Skip message" or "Remove from Unread list" feature (especially if this could be done to multiple messages at one time with checkboxes or a shift-click type approach) would help a lot of us who frequently read the forum.

I would appreciate any feedback on this suggestion.

Again -- strictly a forums issue, not a SlickEdit issue.

Of course, I realize that by posting this I'm aggravating the issue which my suggestion hopes to improve by adding to the posts.  However, the exceptional response to customer concerns and suggestions exhibited by the SlickTeam and the forum contributors leads me to believe that I won't get too much flak for that.  Also, (if this can be addressed) I think it might help a lot of us save some time.

Thanks
Les

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
Re: Mark a post as read without reading it
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
RSS is a pretty convenient way to follow what's going on in all the forums.  If a post looks interesting, I can jump straight to that thread in forum. 

CB

LBCEi

• Hero Points: 21
Re: Mark a post as read without reading it
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »
Jeffrey and Wanderer

Thanks for the tips.  Both excellent.

I do use RSS (with the Google desktop sidebar) to check periodically if anything particularly interesting has been posted and, if so, go directly to read that post.

Generally, though, I wait till the end of the day and do the "unread posts" thing.

I can't believe I never noticed (or recognized the usefulness) of the "Mark All as Read" button.  That will save me some time.

Thanks again
Les