Author Topic: Java Error "JDK programs not found. Set the JDK installation directory"  (Read 3447 times)

jayzee

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Whenver I add a new Java program to my project and try to compile, I get the error message:

"Set the JDK installation directory so the JDK programs can be found"

I click the OK button, and Slick Edit sends me to the Java Build and Runtime Options dialog. Nothing is wrong here, so I click the OK button and I get a further error message:

"JDK programs not found. Set the JDK installation directory (Build,Java Options)"

No matter what I do (even attempting to re-edit the options), I get the same sequence of errors.

How do I know that the Java Build and Runtime Options are correct in the first place? I exit Slick Edit, and immediately re-execute Slick Edit. The problem then disappears until I add another program to the project.

I also get this same sequence of errors when I try to add or delete a jar file from the classpath.

This problem started to occur in Slick Edit 13. Here's my information:

SlickEdit Version 13.0.1.0

Build Date: June 13, 2008
Emulation: CUA

Version: 5.01.2600  Service Pack 2
Memory: 51% Load, 1068MB/2088MB Physical, 133MB/2097MB Virtual

Installation Directory: C:\SlickEdit 2008\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,11174MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\Documents and Settings\ZackJo\My Documents\My SlickEdit Config\13.0.1\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,11174MB free)

The JDK I am using is JDK 1.6.

I would recommend that anyone who is doing Java work keep a copy of Slick Edit 2007 (12.0.3) around. Luckily, I did. This is the only version that works properly with Java.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 298
Contact support.  Clarify what adding a program to a project means (do you mean add a source file?) and how you are doing it.

toillion

I am seeing the same issue with 12.0.3 on Windows XP. When I try to build or execute my Java project I get:

"Set the JDK installation directory so the JDK programs can be found".

The JDK is properly set to Java 1.6. In fact, it built and executed once before this problem occured. Now it refuses to build, execute, OR accept the specified JDK. Dead in the water at this point. I have not been able to determine what I did at the point where this problem started.

toillion

I just deleted all entries from "Compiler" in "Compiler/Link" tab or "Project Properties" dialog and re-added JDK 1.6.0_07 and things are working as expected. There is definitely an issue here, however, this may be a workaround for now.

Mike

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Community Member
  • Hero Points: 19
Re: Java Error "JDK programs not found. Set the JDK installation directory"
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:16 pm »
This should work if you put the JDK home directory in the PATH.

Once you do this, if you go to 'Project > Project Properties' under the Compile/Link tab, you should be able to select the Compiler for your JDK.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:48:18 pm by Mike »