Author Topic: HOPE: Publish hotfix & updates information with RSS feeds?  (Read 2818 times)

Ding Zhaojie

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 37
HOPE: Publish hotfix & updates information with RSS feeds?
« on: July 01, 2008, 03:42:09 am »
I noticed that the hotfix update thread in SE forum has not be updated for a long time. But if you can add RSS feeds support in SE website, we can add the RSS feed to Firefox or Outlook to get the most recent hotfix, product news or something else.

And a little further, if you can add a RSS tool window in SE, we can read the new discussions in SE forum, news from SE official or topics in other technical forum we interested without leaving SlickEdit, it would be very cool! ;D

dunkers

• Hero Points: 33
Re: HOPE: Publish hotfix & updates information with RSS feeds?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:18:38 pm »
Seconded, and I don't use RSS (and never have). I'd much prefer for there to be some normal notification (email, forum post) but if I have to use RSS I'll do it just so I know there are fixes available.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: HOPE: Publish hotfix & updates information with RSS feeds?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:23 am »
Third.  I use RSS to keep track of tech news, my favorite shows, and breaking headlines.  It's a simple thing, really, to mouse over my row of feeds and see what's new.

Incidentally, using Firefox 3, the "coding horror" feed "shows" me the the pages I've viewd, while the "ars technica" feed doesn't.  I do not know what mechanism is used to accomplish this, (perhaps it's the .xml file itself) but it's one more nifty thing to think about.  An "unread" update means I have something to look at, while a visited page can be safely ignored.

Coding horror feed: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/index.xml
ars Technica feed: http://arstechnica.com/index.ars/rss

Cool. 8)