Author Topic: Working with remote files  (Read 11754 times)

eruisi

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Working with remote files
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »
Is there a way to work with a remote workspace (via sftp/ftp)?
Or the workspace is local but it contains remote projects/files?

Now the remote files are treated separately in slickedit and can not be added to a local project/workspace.

livingintown

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: Working with remote files
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:28 AM »
as far as I know, it can not as you expected. But there are some work around. when you used ftp/sftp to edit remote files, slickedit always keeps local copy at "My Slickedit Config/13.0.1/ftp". You can add files under this directory into project.

or make a map between remote directory and local directory, all remote files will be in local directory you specified. It can be done in "Advanced" page of ftp/sftp session, called "remote to local directory mapping"

Dan

eruisi

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 04:07:29 PM »
Thanks for the help.
I made a map between remote directory and local one, but don't know how to make synchronization happen.

BTW: what does "open files as ftp..." in ftp session toolbar mean (when you right-click on a file)? I didn't see any effects for selecting this menu item.

as far as I know, it can not as you expected. But there are some work around. when you used ftp/sftp to edit remote files, slickedit always keeps local copy at "My Slickedit Config/13.0.1/ftp". You can add files under this directory into project.

or make a map between remote directory and local directory, all remote files will be in local directory you specified. It can be done in "Advanced" page of ftp/sftp session, called "remote to local directory mapping"

Dan

livingintown

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »
In the "Add FTP profile", there is the advanced tab. "remote to local directory mapping" is on right hand.

eruisi

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »
In the "Add FTP profile", there is the advanced tab. "remote to local directory mapping" is on right hand.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.

I MADE a map but didn't see its effects. The two directories I mapped do NOT synchronize.

garion911

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 13
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:16:19 PM »
If I read you correct, you have a local directory where you do your modifications, and then you have an SFTP directory you want the files uploaded to whenever you save..

If so.. I have the same exact setup.. With some help from this forum, I got what I wanted, so maybe it'll help you too..

Here's the thread where I got the help: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg4904#msg4904

eruisi

• Community Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »
If I read you correct, you have a local directory where you do your modifications, and then you have an SFTP directory you want the files uploaded to whenever you save..

If so.. I have the same exact setup.. With some help from this forum, I got what I wanted, so maybe it'll help you too..

Here's the thread where I got the help: http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg4904#msg4904

Thanks, but I am not familiar with python/slick-C
I finally find out how ftp mapping works: when you open an FTP file in Slickedit, a local copy in the mapped local directory will be generated. If you save the FTP file, it will be uploaded automatically.

livingintown

• Community Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 02:12:26 AM »
Good, you figure it out. There is no hope to expect slickedit automatically upload you changes into remote when changes are made to local mapped files. but when you open files remotely, you mapped directory will also keep a local copy. you can add this local copy into your project.

slickedit even can do remote building, so if you needed, please try it too.

This is how it works. If slickedit developers are watching this forums, I think it's decent to add remote files into project as well as local files. The great part of slickedit is to adopt to complicated environment, which normally doing programming on remote side.

eruisi

• Community Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »
This is how it works. If slickedit developers are watching this forums, I think it's decent to add remote files into project as well as local files. The great part of slickedit is to adopt to complicated environment, which normally doing programming on remote side.

+1 to this request