Author Topic: Error parsing  (Read 10507 times)

lars magne

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Error parsing
« on: September 04, 2006, 05:06:13 PM »
 ??? I have tried to configure error parsing for my Fujitsu compiler, but no errors are detected by SlickEdit even if the error parse validation succeeded.
My error line is as follows:
*** u:\mypath\flash.c(105) E4062C: syntax error near `fuzz'
Any ideas ???

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Error parsing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:32:53 PM »
Hi Lars,

SlickEdit uses regular expressions to parse compiler errors. Select Build > Configure Error Parsing to bring up the Error Regular Expression dialog. The top part of the dialog displays a list of Categories. Let's add an expression to the User category, so scroll down and put a check in next to user.

The bottom part of the dialog displays a list of expressions. It should be empty when "User" is selected. Click the plus icon to add a new one. Give the expression a name, like "Fujitsu C compiler" and paste in the line of sample output in Test Case. Using that line, I came up with the regular expression, "^\*\*\*:b{#0:p}\({#1:i}\)", to successfully parse this line (exclude the double quotes, of course). Paste or type that in and click OK.

With that regular expression selected, you should now be able to successfully process errors. After a build, use next-error and prev-error to jump from one error to another. You can also double-click on an error to have SlickEdit open that file and go to the listed line. If your error messages span more than one line, be sure you double-click on the line that contains the filename and line number.

If you've done all this and it's still not working, please contact product support. It could be that a different regular expression is interfering with the one you created. You may need to disable some that you are not using in for this to work.

Either way, let me know how this comes out.

--Scott

lars magne

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:11:30 AM »
 :)Thanks a lot!!!
It works fine!

Now the next challange is to set up a build for the compiler and linker.
My hope is that SlickEdit can do all the work with make and bulid and finally execute a downloader - all in one click.
Is that to expect too much?

Lars Magne

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm glad that worked!

With SlickEdit, you have 3 options for builds:
1) Let SlickEdit do them,
2) Let SlickEdit generate and use an external makefile, and
3) Use a user-written makefile.

These options are accessible from Project > Project Properties, then click on the Build tab. The Tools tab allows you to configure the command line for the Build, Rebuild, Compile, and other options that appear on the Build menu.

Which you choose depends on how the rest of the team does a build and what compiler and linker you are using. If everyone is using SlickEdit--the most natural choice ;)--then you may choose option 1. If other members of the team are using different editing tools, selecting option 3 will allow your team to produce builds in the same way, one of the most import success criteria in my opinion.

Unless the Fujitsu compiler is a derivative of GNU, SlickEdit doesn't have any built-in support for it. If it is, create your project by selecting Project > New and then select the GNU C/C++ Wizard from the list of project types. Otherwise, select "(None)", and you'll have to configure everything yourself.

Assuming you went with the None option, you are probably better off using an external make system. Once you have created your make files, use the Tools tab to configure the command line for the appropriate build operations.

For post build operations, like "executing a downloader", you can either make this another step in your makefile or use SlickEdit to define a post-build command, on the Build tab.

This isn't a comprehensive solution to your question, but it should be enough to get you going. Good luck!
--Scott

lars magne

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »
Thanks!

We plan to use SlickEdit in the entire team if this tool statifys our needs.
I don't know if our compilators are GNU compatible, but most likely not.
I'm not so familiar with make tools since this facility is built into our current tools (e.g. Fujitsu Softune).

Do you have any recomandations for make tools and where I can find guides to set up a make. 

Normally we work on small software projects and have limited need for project to project dependencies.  The basic need is to compile all updated files in the project and then link, download and execute target application if all went well.  This works fine in Softune from Fujitsu (without a makefile), but we want to change to a better editor and a general tool (used on all our microcontroller compilers), with interface to version control and other nice editor facilities.  But I don't want to loose the "fire button" that does all the work in backround from compiling, linking, downloading and finnaly starting the target microcontroller application.

Lars Magne