Author Topic: Virtual workspace folders for projects  (Read 3359 times)

shadowbane

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Virtual workspace folders for projects
« on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
I have about 40 projects in a single vpw :o and I'm wondering if there is any way to use folders to categorize them.  I cant find any mechanism in the GUI to create a folder to hold projects.  My vpw in this case is created by a script so if there is some hidden vpw goodness that would work as well.

Any ideas?

-S

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: Virtual workspace folders for projects
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:45 PM »
I suspect the answer to your question is no but ... are you referring to the projects toolbar?  What would be the benefit of categorizing them?  Can you explain a bit more?

Graeme

shadowbane

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: Virtual workspace folders for projects
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:09:01 AM »
Yes its the project toolbar that I'm referring to.

Its quite easy to get a large number of projects when dealing with a large code base.  Building our primary application consists of building about 40 static libraries and one main application and then linking them all together.  So, I end up with about 40 vpjs listed in the vpw.  In the visual studio version of the workspace we have 9 categories for these based on which layer of the application the libraries exist in as well as the primary application that is not in a virtual folder. 

The goal of the categorization is to make the libraries easier to locate, as well as reduce the clutter in the list of files.  A purely alphabetical list of projects results in projects that are intermixed across their logical groupings (low level projects interspersed with increasingly higher level projects).

-S