Author Topic: noop questions ...  (Read 3554 times)

mmirold

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
noop questions ...
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:39:24 PM »
Greetings!

a) This *is* certainly a stupid question: how do I rename files, e.g. c++ header
and/or source files? I really don't see how to do it. Even when I rename the files
manually, i.e. by means of "mv", slickedit keeps complaining about the disappearance
of the original file. I am quite sure that I'm not the first person trying to do this :) Please help!

b) I've chosen to make slickedit "always" reindent my source code when I press the tab key.
However, when being in "global scope" or at the beginning of lines containing a comment,
pressing tab only results in adding more spaces. Is this intended?

c) From vim (don't laugh), I'm accustomed to visually select the code that I want
to have indented, then press '=', and voila, vim magically reindents the code
line by line in a more or less (syntactically) sensible way. Selecting a code block in SE and
pressing tab merely yields to shifting the entire block to the right. Is there a simple
way to do it the vim way. (Maybe this is more the 'beautify code' feature, but I don't
really want it to beautify my code but simply reindent it.)

d) After having found the "Quick Refactoring" sub-menu, I wonder if there are other, i.e.
"non-quick", refactoring methods? I think, I've read something about those in old
forum posts and that there were performance problems. Have they been abandoned?

Thanks for your help!
Michael

hs2

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 292
Re: noop questions ...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15:50 PM »
Lot of questions mmirold ... ;)
a) 'File>Save as' is your friend at the first place.
    There is no 'rename' in the sense of 'mv'. So you've to delete the original file manually.
    Although such a command could be added quite easily by writing a Slick-C macro.
b) I'm not sure which behaviour you're expecting ? Please give an example.
c) This can be achieved by using the 'Smart Paste' feature if you don't want to use the beautifier.
    Select some lines and do 'cut>paste'.
d) Right, there was another method of refactoring which is deprecated now.
    Keep in mind that SE 'Quick Refactoring' is not real 'Refactoring'. (see SE documentation)

HS2
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:17:24 PM by hs2 »

mmirold

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: noop questions ...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:55:30 AM »
2) outside of any scope, an indent of 0 feels natural to me. Thus,
pressing tab in a line containing a global declaration (no, I wouldn't do this :)
would strictly remove leading whitespace, i.e. left-indent the declaration.

However, to be honest, I could live with the situation ;-)

Thanks HS2!
Michael