Author Topic: Autocomplete isn't working on class members  (Read 14264 times)

asandler

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 27
Autocomplete isn't working on class members
« on: July 23, 2008, 01:15:02 pm »
When trying to auto-complete names of the class members in C++ it doesn't work as expected. For instance if I have member variable int m_member and I type m_mem and hit CTRL+SPACE, nothing happens. The class is in the project, so it should be in the tags file. Yet, when I press CTRL+SPACE on empty line of text, it lists the name of the member in the list. Also, after typing the name of the member, if I CTRL+. on it, it takes me to the definition of the member.
Any ideas?

Alex.

PS: It's SE 13.0.1 with the latest hot fixes on WinXP.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:08:54 pm by asandler »

Marcel

• Hero Points: 26
Re: Autocomplete isn't working on class members
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 04:32:11 pm »
I noticed the same problem. Ctrl+space seems to find and fill in the member if it was used previously in the same member function, i.e. seems to treat it as a local variable. First I thougt that it was a problem with private variables, but it happens with public ones as well.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:11:46 pm »
Me too.  I haven't reported it yet because I wanted to find how to create a tiny sample file to demonstrate the problem, so that the SlickTeam can track it down more easily.

jasondougherty

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:18:36 pm »
I've seen the same thing.  It will auto-complete as Words if the member has been previously used in the file, but won't complete as Symbols or Members.

chrisant

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:49:40 am »
I put together some tiny files to reproduce the problem.  It's a tiny workspace and project with a tiny class declared in a header file, and one method in a .cpp file.  There are instructions for how to reproduce the problem in the .cpp file.

I confirmed the problem does not occur in v13.0.0, but I'm not sure yet when it started happening.

For completeness, I've also sent this to support@slickedit.com.

chrisant

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:57:20 pm »
I verified that in 13.0.0 r29 the codehelp_complete command lists members, and
I verified that in 13.0.1 (no hotfixes) the codehelp_complete command does not list members.

So the regression seems to have been introduced in 13.0.1.
I tracked it down to a call to the extern function context_match_tags:
In 13.0.0 r29 context_match_tags lists members.
But in 13.0.1 (no hotfixes) context_match_tags does not list members.
The code path leading up to the call has only one minor change between v13.0.0 and v13.0.1:  there is a slight tweak to case sensitivity, but if you revert that tweak the results at the same:  v13.0.1 does not list members.

I think this means the regression is in the editor's native C/C++ code.

@SlickTeam, I know there isn't a 13.0.2 planned, but this is a pretty important regression for many of us I think.  If this can be hotfixed in macro code, great.  But if not, is there any way we can get a patched binary file to get list members working again?  I'm torn:  which do I want more:  do I want list members working, or do I want all the enhancements and fixes in v13.0.1?  :'(  It's a very difficult choice!  Which just shows how awesome SlickEdit is and how heavily we depend on its advanced features.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:59:26 pm by chrisant »

asandler

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:53:44 am »
Me too sent an email to tech. support, regarding this and some another issue that I had (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3714.0). Yet, so far, I received no response, despite I am a legit owner of maintenance and support contract. Is that how things usually work with SE's tech. support? I mean you wait for 24 hours for an answer and then you begin sending angry emails  :-\

BTW, I just found out that this problems occurs with structure members and not only class members.

chrisant

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:42:26 am »
I have found SlickEdit to be a great product, and the SlickTeam to be very reasonable, smart, and helpful folks.  Maybe you could send a polite and professional email inquiring if they've had a chance to look at the issue yet, and if they have an idea what kind of ETA when they might be able to provide a fix.  I know we all rely heavily on SlickEdit's advanced features and don't want to go without them for even an hour, but I'm sure the SlickTeam appreciates your patience and understanding while they investigate issues reported by us.

Did you receive the auto-email saying that your issue has been received and assigned a case number?  If not then maybe it got intercepted by a spam filter, but the auto-email is the "ok we'll look into it" response.  I think if you expect an actual fix in less than 24 hours, then that seems a little unrealistic:  24 hours = only 8 work hours in which to read and understand the problem, try to figure out how to reproduce the problem (you sent detailed repro steps with a sample project that reproduces the problem, right?), debug the problem to find the root cause, formulate a potential fix and try it out, and do some testing so as to provide a quality fix -- that's a lot of stuff to accomplish in a very tight timeframe by your expectations.  ;)  And that's assuming they're able to drop everything and immediately look into your issue.  Besides, if it is indeed a bug in the native code for context_match_tags as I guessed earlier, then that's a lot more involved than posting a hotfix in macro code.

Honestly, although I want this fixed ASAP too, it's not like the editor is corrupting files or crashing.  So I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect an immediate fix.  I definitely have my fingers crossed, though, hoping that we'll see a fix sometime this week!  I really miss the list members functionality.

asandler

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:31 am »
Well. You're right. Posting useless angry things that might just irritate people won't do any good to anyone. So I apologize for that.

Yet when I think about it, SlickEdit is the most expensive piece of software that I ever purchased. I did pay additional 60$ to receive help in cases just like that - otherwise I can read documentation, ask questions here, etc. Of course I did not expect anyone to solve this problem in 24 hours. Yet, I was expecting someone to address it. I did receive an automated reply, though.

I think code navigation related features are fundamental features. Auto-complete is THE feature. I cannot emphasize enough it's importance and if it's not reliable then SlickEdit does exactly the opposite of what it supposed to do - it spends my time instead of saving it.

I did not send reproduction steps and sample project. I didn't have time work on any of them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:41:28 am by asandler »

DaveyC

• Hero Points: 9
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:22:48 pm »
It's never a good idea to get angry, gets you nowhere. However, it does seem that a lot of basic defects are not being picked
up before prime time. I once had a very wise product manager that used to say "you're only as good as your testers"

SlickEdit Support

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 26
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:08:49 pm »
Hi Alexander (and all),

Unfortunately the problem here is that interaction with SlickEdit Support and the Dev Staff on community.slickedit.com has lead to some confusion about Support and Maintenance.

To quote ScottW, VP of Dev (http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=28.0) "Welcome to the SlickEdit product forum. This is a great place for SlickEdit users to assist each other by asking questions, discussing product issues, and voicing opinions. Although our staff will monitor the forums and answer selected questions, it is not our intent to address support requests from within the forum. Support requests should be submitted via support@slickedit.com"

While SlickEdit Support and SlickEdit Development do have a presence on the SlickEdit Community page, please keep in mind that it is not the "official" avenue for SlickEdit Support and other Support related queries.

If you have an issue please send an email to support@slickedit.com, with as much info as you can provide, as well as your Help-->About SlickEdit-->"Program Information".  The "Program Information" is vital and we will ask you for it anyways, so you can save a step by providing it with your initial email.  One of the more important reasons, among others, that we need this information is to be sure of the version that you are working with, as well as any hotfixes, etc.
     If possible, any sample (files/snippet/project), that will allow us to replicate exactly what you are seeing is extremely helpful.

If all of the detail happens to be in a community.slickedit.com post, feel free to dump the URL into your email.

To re-iterate, the key here is to make sure you send an email to support@slickedit.com so we can officially track your case/issue for you.

To the issue:  Thanks for the repro sample Chris; Support repro'd the problem and Dev is looking into it.

chrisant and asandler:  We'll inform you of the status of the issue via your cases, and hopefully if this can be resolved with a hotfix, we'll post that news in this thread.

Best,
SlickEdit Support

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:57 pm »
Thanks go out to Chris for sending in a very good test case.

The problem with symbol completion is not hot-fixable
(we can only hot-fix macros), but the problem will be fixed
in the next major release or patch release.

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:41 pm »
I don't mean to be a nag, BUT...

Are you able to make a patch release, even if it's just to fix this one bug? Or, at the very least, is there an easy way to revert to 13.0.0? This is a significant enough issue to my workflow (I've gotten to0 used to Slickedit's conveniences!) that I may prefer to go back a version to 13.0.0 than to stick on 13.0.1 with this issue if it's not going to be fixed for a while...

Thanks,
Evan

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Hero Points: 64
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:10:21 pm »
We are planning to release v13.0.2, which will include the existing set of hotfixes plus some additional fixes that cannot be included in hotifixes. That should be availabe in the next 2 weeks. In the meantime, you should be able to install v13.0 on your computer. You will be prompted to uninstall v13.0.1 first.

If you want both, make a copy of the v13.0.1 install directory before installing v13.0. Then, the original directory of v13.0.1 can be uninstalled. You can do the same thing when installing a new version of SlickEdit to keep the previous version around, in case of bugs like this.

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 05:01:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice, Scott. Glad to hear that 13.0.2 is coming!

-Evan