Author Topic: how to use subversion in slickedit?  (Read 20332 times)

abcd

how to use subversion in slickedit?
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »
My project uses subversion for version control.
I have set subversion executable to "C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin\svn.exe", and checked the "command line systems" and select subversion on the "version control setup" dialog, and leave the "VCS project" blank.
But when use "version control" - "diff" function, it says "Could not checkout file, cvs executable not found".

Could someone tell me what's the reason? How to resolve it?

Thanks!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: how to use subversion in slickedit?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:14:05 AM »
Do you have a project file open (.vpw or .vpj)? There are 2 places version control settings are set. The first is in the project file itself, the second is the 'global' options. If you don't have a project or workspace open, you're setting the default settings. If you've got a project open, you're making the settings and associations for just that project.

You also may need to shut down and restart SlickEdit (or close and reopen the project) after making any changes.

Are you on WIndows Vista by any chance? I've seen a similar error on Vista when the permissions to the subversion\bin directory were all messed up. For some reason a lot of "insufficient permissions" errors show up as "file not found" errors on Vista.

abcd

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »
On project properties dialog, I can not find the version control place. Could you tell me more detail? Thanks!

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 44
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 12:59:20 PM »
When you project is open, right click on either the .vpw or the .vpj file tree node in the Projects tool window. Select Version Control > Setup from the context menu.

abcd

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 08:04:18 AM »
When you project is open, right click on either the .vpw or the .vpj file tree node in the Projects tool window. Select Version Control > Setup from the context menu.
I have setup the version control to subversion, but I can't get file's version info, for example: I select Version Control > History for **.c or Diff **.c with most up to date version from working space context menu, SlickEdit says "can not get the log file" and "Could not checkout file,CVS executable not found" and "Could not check out current version of d:\dir\dir\**.c", I don't know how to make it work, could you tell how to do? Thanks!

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
Please go to Tools>Version Control>Setup, and click the Setup button for Subversion.  Verify that the executable name there is valid, then click OK (make sure to click OK, not just close).

Does this help?

abcd

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »
The executable name is valid. My install version is the version from  http://subversion.tigris.org/. I can use it by CMD and on Intellij Idea, but I can't make it work on slickEdit.
But thank you for your good advise.

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:26:56 PM »
If you go to Macro>Set Macro Variable, and choose def_svn_info, what is the value of element
  • ?

abcd

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »
If you go to Macro>Set Macro Variable, and choose def_svn_info, what is the value of element
  • ?
It's "C:\Program Files\Subversion\bin\svn.exe", the right install position.

abcd

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:23:07 AM »
I have resolved this problem by replace slickedit 11.20 with slickedit 2008.
The reason of subversion doesn't work on slickedit 11.20 is still unknown.