Author Topic: Columnar editing with VIM Emulation  (Read 4086 times)

matto

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Columnar editing with VIM Emulation
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »
I use SE in VIM emulation mode for the VI commands, but I'd like to blend my VI commands with graphical based columnar editing, which is found in some of the other modes.  Does anyone know if this is possible to setup?  And if so, some pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Matto.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Columnar editing with VIM Emulation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:53:55 PM »
Can you explain what you mean by "graphical based columnar editing"?  I can maybe shed some light on it when I know what it is :).

- Ryan

matto

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »
Ryan,

What I meant by "graphical based columnar editing" is editing of columns not using VI, rather by using the mouse and control keys to highlight a selection, that is not bounded by lines, but columns.  I've seen this in other modes of SE.

Thanks,

Matt

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Ok...I think what you are looking for is block insert mode.  So assuming you are in Vim, navigate to the area where you want to start your selection and, in command mode, hit Ctrl + v.  Now you are creating a block selection...so just use the normal h,j,k,l movements (or arrows if you like) to highlight the desired region.  If you really want to use the mouse, you can just right-click and drag in the editor to create the selection.

Now toggle the SlickEdit command line with Ctrl + a and invoke block-insert-mode, and start typing.  Is that it?

- Ryan