Author Topic: 'New file' error  (Read 4660 times)

ku1256

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
'New file' error
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:14:16 AM »
Hello,

Somewhere during my updates and hotfixes (now I am on 13.0.1.0 and hotfixs rev 20) I began to get an error any time I select 'New file' from menu or toolbar:

Code: [Select]
'Variable element or variable not initialized'
file=setupext.ex offset=1857

and Slick-C stack window:

Code: [Select]
Variable element or variable not initialized
setupext.ex 1857 _EncodingFillComboList(,Automatic,16)   p_window_id: 207   p_object: OI_COMMAND_BUTTON   p_name: ctlok
wkspace.ex 34925 wkspace:initialize_file_tab()   p_window_id: 207   p_object: OI_COMMAND_BUTTON   p_name: ctlok
wkspace.ex 34078 _workspace_new_form.ctlok.\x{2724}(F,<empty>)   p_window_id: 207   p_object: OI_COMMAND_BUTTON   p_name: ctlok
dlgeditv.ex 6693 show(-modal _workspace_new_form,F)   p_window_id: 5   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
guiopen.ex 1714 new()   p_window_id: 5   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
picture.ex 2658 picture:_on_select_execute(new,32772)   p_window_id: 5   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
picture.ex 2109 _tbCommand()   p_window_id: 5   p_object: OI_FORM   p_name:
picture.ex 2470 _ul2_picture.C()   p_window_id: 46   p_object: OI_IMAGE   p_name:

I use Windows XP SP2.

What could be a problem?

Thank you.

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: 'New file' error
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »
See this thread http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=3581.0

A bug that could have caused the problem you're getting was fixed in one of the hotfixes, so, as far as I can see, you shouldn't be getting this problem...  but, according to Sandra, you can still get this problem if you have missing .map files in your installation folder  - read the thread.

Before you go re-installing, try re-loading the latest hotfix first.

I would also suggest that before doing anything, backup your config folder first.

Another thing to try, with slickedit closed, delete the vslick.sta file from your config folder, restart slick, then load the latest hotfixes.

Graeme

ku1256

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
Thanks, Graeme. Yes, file codepagemaps.map was missing, cannot understand how it could happen... Fortunately I had backup just after updating to 13.0.1.0, so there was no need to re-install SlickEdit: just copied the file...

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
It's always a good idea to backup your SlickEdit install directory before applying a hotfix. That way you can quickly fall back to previously known good state should problems arise.

Just passing this on to make sure others know that this is a good idea.