Author Topic: RCS and SE (ubuntu)  (Read 3846 times)

mcarlson

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
RCS and SE (ubuntu)
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:09:44 pm »
Good day,

I'm new to SE and am coming from xemacs.

I didn't realize until today how often I looked at the status line in emacs to show me information such as who owns the RCS lock if there is one.  Is there any way for me to add this information to the SE status line?

Thank you

Matt Carlson

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
Re: RCS and SE (ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:30:52 pm »
As far as I can tell, there is not, but I would very much like to be able to add my own status bar "widgets" like the ones in the bottom right corner.

hs2

• Hero Points: 291
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:39:53 pm »
This should be possible with a small Slick-C macro command which called via keyboard on demand or added to the button bar which could display this information on the status line (until it's overwritten by another status message).
HS2

Graeme

• Hero Points: 335
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 12:18:15 am »
Apart from on-demand as hs2 suggested, there are some other ways to do it which I suspect would work but I haven't tried them.

The left hand part of the status bar is occupied by a textbox that has a fixed window id referred to as _cmdline.  You could write a one second timer callback that checked if the textbox was blank and if so, wrote a sticky_message to it with whatever info you wanted - or you could append information to the right hand end of whatever was already there.

Another possibility is to create a borderless always on top floating toolbar that located itself on the status bar appropriately.  Slick lets you make on-top toolbars but not on-top windows.  Setting the x y co-ordinates of the toolbar might be a problem but there are things like client height/ width info available and also the x y co-ordinates of the _cmdline textbox and _map_xy might help.  When you moused over this window, it could expand into a larger window showing more detail.

Another possibility is to create your own auto-hide toolbar that showed the information you wanted when you moused over the toolbar tab thing  - you might even be able to change the text on the toolbar tab on the fly.

Graeme

Edit - forgot that with the always on top toolbar you're forced to have a title bar so that probably doesn't work but you can always add your own docked toolbar that shows an edit box, similar to the context toolbar.
Edit2  - oops, just realised that of course the cmdline editbox is not used to show text on the status bar so can't be used to determine when there is no text on the status bar or to retrieve what's there.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:31:48 am by Graeme »

mcarlson

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:14 pm »
Thank you all very much.

I'm taking a look at Slick-C and I'm interested to see what can be done with it.

Matt