Author Topic: recover deleted file  (Read 7388 times)

CharlieK

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
recover deleted file
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:21:02 AM »
I deleted some files.  In versions past, I'd have groaned, copied the .bak file, made most recent changes and gone on.

It looks like SlickEdit Version 10.0.3 has some diff stuff, but that file doesn't have the base file.  What gives? 

I rarely need to undo thru a save, so the .bak was fine.  The diff stuff would be ok, if - like a code repository - it stored the base file.

Thankfully I have a week-old backup, but would rather snag the .bak.

Tnx, Charlie

Dswag89

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: recover deleted file
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:50:09 PM »
This response is a little 11.0.2-centric, but may be applicable to your case as well (given that you mentioned "Diff" data.  If difference data is available, then the entire base must exist in some form.  You should be able to get to the equivalent of the .bak by choosing the most-recent "diff" file.  If you can't access it because SlickEdit doesn't have a "current version" to compare, I'd create a blank file by the same name that you want to recover.  This would allow you to diff the bare file against the last known save and get to where you need to be.  If you want to revert to just creating a single .bak file, change your settings in Tools... Options... File Options on the "Backup" tab, make your most-preferred selection.

CharlieK

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »
Thanks - worked.  When I first looked at the vsdelta file, I didn't see the base file - just changes.

Clark

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 528
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:01:53 PM »
I've accidently deleted some files too.  Here's the trick.  Use the file open dialog to open the deleted file. The open dialog will automatically create a buffer (not a file) with a file of that name.  Then you can use backup history :-)  It would be nice if backup history had a "restore" feature with a recursive option.

tim berry

• New Community Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:06:45 PM »
If you need to undelete files I suppose using Acitve@ Undelete. The utility is reliable and never failed me. It can also now boot itself as well
http://www.active-undelete.com/

hotdog321

• New Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
I think the first thing you have to determine is the value of the data.  If it's a case where "It would be nice to have it, but not critical". I tried Pandora Recovery https://www.pandorarecovery.com/recover-deleted-files.html and have managed to recover most of the files although the recovered files are not listed in their original names. With the free version, only 2GB of data can be recovered and it did a fine job of that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:30:46 PM by hotdog321 »

puresour

• New Community Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
If you need to undelete files I suppose using Acitve@ Undelete. The utility is reliable and never failed me. It can also now boot itself as well
kitchenlola blog
I purchased the Pro version last year and I have to agree it's probably the best recovery tool I've ever used so far even surpassing Recuva.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:10:54 PM by puresour »

Dan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 153
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
@CharlieK Starting in SlickEdit 2014 or 2015, there is a backup history browser that tracks all the files you save and gives you an option to restore them.