Author Topic: Feature request: hide unwanted languages in options dialog  (Read 2554 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 314
Feature request: hide unwanted languages in options dialog
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:01:22 pm »

In the options dialog, to avoid having to wade through a large number of languages, you can add the languages you're interested in to the favourites list, however, if you enter some search text, the results list includes all languages.  Is it possible to have an option where the search results would be restricted to "favourites" items if you clicked the "show favourites" button after the search  - or some other way of hiding the languages you're not interested in.

Graeme

Sandra

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 35
Re: Feature request: hide unwanted languages in options dialog
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:42 pm »
I like this idea.  I know I've searched for something in options and had to wade through 40 different language indent options to get to what I wanted.  I think we could have two different behaviors here:
1.  Allowing users to search only their favorites.
2.  Some mechanism to specify which languages someone uses - hide the other languages during searches or even during regular options dialog use.

Obviously, the second suggestion is more specifically geared toward your use case.  But do you think there would be value in allowing searching of favorites outside of the scenario you mentioned?

Thanks for the feedback!

Graeme

• Hero Points: 314
Re: Feature request: hide unwanted languages in options dialog
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
But do you think there would be value in allowing searching of favorites outside of the scenario you mentioned?

Honest answer  - no, not that I can see, not for me anyway, because apart from languages, the current list in the treeview is short enough to ignore non-favourites!  But I'll take anything that lets me avoid having to scroll for miles when every language matches the search criteria  :)

My suggestion isn't ideal and not a good long term solution but I recall something like this was suggested during beta testing so I was hoping that "searching within favourites" would be easy to do and make it into 13.0.2 or a hotfix!

Ideally, you shouldn't have to make a favourites list that includes all top level categories except languages, plus a small number of languages, just so you can avoid the big "language search match" problem.  Also, as you say, hiding unwanted languages all the time, not just during searches, is desirable, so if I was product manager, I would go for option 2 and forget option 1, except if option 2 is next year I'd go for option 1  :).

Graeme