Author Topic: File Tab in SlickEdit V11.0.0  (Read 2694 times)

daddoo

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
File Tab in SlickEdit V11.0.0
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:04:12 am »
Everytime I open a file then there will be a button added to the file tab. The problem is when I opened too many files and exceeded the window's width, there will be a scroll button (left and right) in order to view the files. I would like to avoid the scroll button and view all the files by expanding the file tab downwards (if the file tabs docked on the top of the window), anyone know how to configure this?

File Tabs:
 -------  -------  -------    ---- ----
| a.cpp |  b.cpp |  c.cpp |  | <  |  > |
 -------  -------  -------    ---- ----

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 222
Re: File Tab in SlickEdit V11.0.0
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:00:37 am »
Everytime I open a file then there will be a button added to the file tab. The problem is when I opened too many files and exceeded the window's width, there will be a scroll button (left and right) in order to view the files. I would like to avoid the scroll button and view all the files by expanding the file tab downwards (if the file tabs docked on the top of the window), anyone know how to configure this?

It isn't possible.  There are keyboard shortcuts for next-buff-tab, prev-buff-tab though.

Multiple rows of file tabs must be the number one feature asked for in SlickEdit and has been discussed many times.  Slick version 12 introduced a new files toolbar that lets you display open files in a vertical toolbar -  you have to double click to open a file though, whereas file tabs only require a single click.

When I started using slick, it didn't have a files toolbar and file tabs are unusable as far as I'm concerned, so I wrote my own files toolbar and posted it  -  you can find the original posting here
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=589.0

and an update here that should be fine with SE version 11.
http://community.slickedit.com/index.php?topic=2222.msg9251#msg9251

Use at your own risk if you want  - I use it all the time!
BTW - in the (unlikely) event that it gives you "slick c stack/ crash" - you should still be able to save your work and close/restart slick.  Actually it never crashes on me, but you never know  :)

Graeme

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 222
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:04:26 am »
Tried to modify my previous post but get a browser error - so, wanted to say that it's only tested on Windows.

Graeme

daddoo

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:50 am »
Thanks a lot, I think I will give it a try at my own risk  ;)