Author Topic: SlickEdit Code Tags?  (Read 8690 times)

Dave_Sinkula

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
SlickEdit Code Tags?
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:36:41 PM »
On lots of programming forums, there is the constant echo by senior members that new posters "Use Code Tags!" Code tags on these sites give a pretty bland look at code.
Code: [Select]
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   puts("hello world");
   return 0;
}
Oh how I would love to have SlickEdit's rendering and beautifying capabilities on such programming sites I visit. Has the SlickEdit team ever considered making some kind of add-in for SMF or vBulletin or others?

Dave_Sinkula

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 4
Re: SlickEdit Code Tags?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 03:11:07 AM »

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: SlickEdit Code Tags?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 04:50:47 AM »
That's a pretty interesting idea. I don't think we've had anyone suggest anything similar, but we have had plenty of requests to be able to copy or save editor contents with HTML or RTF formatting. If and when that feature makes it in, something could probably be hacked out in a Slick-C macro.

There are of course some technical hurdles with that kind of "whole editor" approach. SE isn't really designed to run as a server app, so I imagine it would have to be running with a window station available. I don't know if there's enough in the pure C/C++ DLL code to get all the required info without loading the whole editor (for the macro interpreter). A lot of the syntax support, esp for dynamic languages, is in the Slick-C code.