Author Topic: Migrate Settings to New Machine  (Read 2961 times)

PeterGV

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Migrate Settings to New Machine
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:34:50 pm »
I've searched the board, checked the help, and looked at the files to no avail...

After having spent a lot of time customizing SlickEdit -- key bindings, macros, fonts, etc -- I find that I need to move to a different machine.

How do I migrate all my SlickEdit settings/customizations from my old machine to my new one??

Sorry if this is obvious to you long-time users or SlickEdit pros, and thanks in advance for the help,

Peter
Convert from CodeWright

jimlangrunner

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
Re: Migrate Settings to New Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »
Welcome to the club.  I switched 2+ years ago and have been very happy w/ Slick

I'm assuming you're using Windows....  Should be similar under different OSs.  Help -> About should give you the correct config folder thus:
Installation Directory: C:\Program Files\SlickEdit 2008\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,12329MB free)
Configuration Directory: C:\myfiles\My SlickEdit Config\13.0.2\ (non-removable drive,NTFS,12329MB free)

Instal Slick on the new machine, then copy "My Slickedit Config" to the new machine.  It should by under your "My Documents" folder.  Start Slick & you should be ready to roll.

Jim.

PeterGV

• Junior Community Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:56:27 pm »
Thank you very much for your patient, and correct, answer.

That worked for me, and now... Slick Edit is happily running on my new machine.

The only thing I'll add (for the benefit of the archvies) is to remind folks to move any macros you've written (in the \macros folder, under the slickedit install directory).

Again, many thanks,

Peter

ku1256

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:00:39 pm »
I was always wondering (using SE from v8, or was it 9?) why they still have not implemented settings export/import as all decent applications should? Anybody from SE team care to comment?

evanratt

• Hero Points: 23
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:16:38 pm »
Out of curiosity, what would a "Settings export" option do that you can't accomplish by just copying your configuration directory? I've found the configuration directories very useful to copy around; I can just zip one up and throw it on a flash drive, and I'm set.

On a side note, I tend to keep any of my macros in my configuration directory, and generally try to touch the installation directory as little as possible. A nice side benefit is that the macros are copied to the new configuration directory when I upgrade. The only thing that doesn't happen, that seems like it should, is Slick still loads the macros from the old directory; I have to go through and unload the old macros manually, and load the new ones.

-Evan

ku1256

• Community Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:28:45 am »
Out of curiosity, what would a "Settings export" option do that you can't accomplish by just copying your configuration directory?

1. Cross-platform settings migration.
2. Do not copy useless few hundred MB of data (like files backup history, or tag files...)
3. Leap-frogging versions
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:12:57 pm by ku1256 »

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:09:58 pm »
I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the biggest differences between a Windows platform and a *nix platform are
  • EOL characters (0d0a vs 0d vs 0a)
  • path conventions ("C:\Slick\config" vs /usr/Slick/config vs mac hard drive|Slick|Config
  • (the hard part) - things that don't translate (such as Visual Studio settings)
There are a few binary files that I assume are platform agnostic.

I've seen enough samples to know that traversing a directory tree to process a batch of files is (almost) trivial, and Find In Files works well enough, as does Save As, with line formats.  So most such settings should be translatable IF the config files are the same for other platforms.

So, if someone knows, there are 3 questions:
  • are the platforms similar (i.e., can the files be changed & dropped in place)?
  • is there a two-platform user that would be willing to test it?
  • Is there someone with more experience than me that wants to tackle such a project?

I've recorded a couple of macros (and inspected them - always inspect generated code), but nothing on this scale.  Were I to try, it wouldn't be until November at the earliest, so don't get your hopes up.  (I'm willing to let someone else do the work & take the bows, for certain).

Jim.