Author Topic: Is there anyway Slickedit can tag target files only for symbolic linked files ?  (Read 6424 times)

sdonepudi

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
My problem is when I perform push-tag operation Slickedit opens symbolically linked file. If I try to checkout the file (using clearcase) I get an error because this file is not a target file. Is there anyway I can tell slickedit to always open target file or tag only target file. ???

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
My problem is when I perform push-tag operation Slickedit opens symbolically linked file. If I try to checkout the file (using clearcase) I get an error because this file is not a target file. Is there anyway I can tell slickedit to always open target file or tag only target file. ???

What is a symbolically linked file?

Graeme

sdonepudi

• Community Member
In unix you can create symbolic link for a file.
Ex:
file1.c file is in /dir/dir1/dir2
You can create symbolic link for that file in any directory (ex:file1a.c--->/dir/dir1/dir2/file1.c). When we tag the files slick edit creates tags for the both files. Somehow I want to avoid tagging symbolically created file and only tag the targetfile which is file1.c.

Graeme

In unix you can create symbolic link for a file.
Ex:
file1.c file is in /dir/dir1/dir2
You can create symbolic link for that file in any directory (ex:file1a.c--->/dir/dir1/dir2/file1.c). When we tag the files slick edit creates tags for the both files. Somehow I want to avoid tagging symbolically created file and only tag the targetfile which is file1.c.

um, well it sounds like slick either doesn't support symbolically linked files or it isn't fully functional  -  either way, you could try reporting the problem to support@slickedit.com and perhaps find out if it's unsupported or just buggy.

Is the symbolic link part of your project?  If so, why can't you add the target file to your project instead of the link?

Why isn't the symbolic link transparent to slickedit?

Graeme

sdonepudi

• Community Member
Symbolic link file is part of the project file. If I add target file also to the project whenever I want to find a tag Slickedit asks for which file to choose. Also if I try to unlock a symbolic file I get an error from clearcase because it is not the target file. Now I have to open the target file manually and unlock the file.

Graeme

Well I don't know what's going on really but maybe you can write your own version of push-tag that uses grep-tag and have the target files in a project of their own.  The find symbol toolbar also lets you select a particular tag file or project to look in.

Graeme