Author Topic: Problems with XML display  (Read 11352 times)

PlanetPratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 6
Problems with XML display
« on: September 12, 2008, 05:31:47 PM »
I'm trying to get the XML color coding to work properly in my Spring applicationContext.xml file, but when I apply the Schema using the right-click context menu, this shows up in the status bar "Error reading '0:\http\www.springframework.org\schema\beans\spring-beans-2.5.xsd'. Invalid database session handle"  I'm not sure what database it's looking at, the file in "My SlickEdit Core Config" looks fine.  Any idea how to fix this?
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Problems with XML display
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »
Have you tried the same operation in regular SlickEdit?  Does it work fine in there?  Could you post the xml file by any chance?  I'll keep digging...

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
I don't have regular SlickEdit on this same machine, so I can't test that.  But, here's a cut down example that exhibits the same behavior.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »
Tried to reproduce this on my machine and another, in both Core and normal SlickEdit, and we were unsuccessful.

A couple things:
  • Do you have the schema file in CONFIG/http/www.springframework.org/schema/beans?  If not, it is likely a problem downloading this file from the site.  Even if it's there, try nuking it and doing the Apply operation again.  Does it get replaced?
  • Do you have any firewall settings that would prevent you from being able to download from that site?  Can you hit it in a browser?
  • Have you tried with a default config just to test?  Any different?

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
That doesn't surprise me too much, the "Invalid database session handle" part of the error message makes me believe it's something bad with my installation, I'm just hoping there's some way to fix it.

Yes, there was a CONFIG/http/www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.5.xsd file and it appears to be valid.  I deleted from the www.springframework.org on down and did the apply again.  It got replaced with a shiny new copy, and then gave me the same error.

No firewall issues, but since it downloaded properly, this doesn't seem to be a likely cause anyhoo

Since I think this is a configuration issue, I'm sure that throwing away all my configuration... again... and starting from scratch would probably work around this problem, but I'd really like to avoid doing that again.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
Since I think this is a configuration issue, I'm sure that throwing away all my configuration... again... and starting from scratch would probably work around this problem, but I'd really like to avoid doing that again

Agreed...I just wanted to try it temporarily as a test, to make sure that's what it was.  How about just nuking your xml.vtg tag file in the CONFIG/tagfiles/ directory?  Same problem?

PlanetPratt

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:06:10 PM »
No such luck.  Exactly the same behavior.
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:25 PM »
It's the type of error that would be thrown if you were out of disk space, or there was some other reason we couldn't open the tag database that was generated.  You should move your config out of the way as a test, and contact support with all this information...they should be able to chase this one better than me.

- Ryan

PlanetPratt

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:38:01 PM »
You should move your config out of the way as a test

I'm not sure what you mean by moving the config out of the way?
  (*Chris*)

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
Just rename the My SlickEdit Core Config directory...that way Core will create a brand new one when you start up Eclipse.  After you are done testing to see if that error still exists, nuke it and restore your old one.

- Ryan