Author Topic: Debugger not working at all with flex  (Read 12895 times)

davecazz

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
Debugger not working at all with flex
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:37:54 AM »
Can't toggle breakpoints, If I select an entry on the call stack, I do go to the correct file and line of code, but right now I have to completely change the default editor in order to get the basic debugging commands (step into, toggle break point, etc).

I did try all the toggle breakpoint commands in the key binding dialog as well as tried to use my own macro with...

_eclipse_execute_command( "org.eclipse.debug.ui.commands.ToggleBreakpoint", "", "");

also, what are the second and third args for this function? and whats the difference between this and _eclipse_dispatchCommand?

btw, sometimes when I run _eclipse_execute_command I get a notification that "Command 'XXXXX' is either disabled or not handled. This is usually because the command is specific to a different editor".

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Debugger not working at all with flex
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:17:53 AM »
When I get back to the office on Monday I'll keep looking into the Flex debugger...I need to converse with one of our debugging gurus on the subject.

- Ryan

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
I've looked into the issue of setting breakpoints in .mxml files from within the SlickEdit editor in Flex Builder 3, and it is not going to work without us implementing something to interact with the com.adobe.flexbuilder.debug plug-ins.  We had to do the same so that we could set CDT and JDT breakpoints.  This is something I would definitely like to do, and I'm filing a feature request to accomplish this for the next release.

The issue of implementing full tagging support for mxml is a much more daunting task than the breakpoint issue, and I think anything we can do to interact better with Flex Builder is a worthy investment.  I've had some time to download and run the 60 day trial, and I think it's a great product.  I would love for SlickEdit Core to be better integrated with this IDE.

Allow me to answer some of your Slick-C programming questions about _eclipse_execute_command:

also, what are the second and third args for this function?

Just look at the javadoc for the function :).

and whats the difference between this and _eclipse_dispatchCommand?

_eclipse_dispatchCommand is for internal SlickEdit commands only...don't worry about this function, _eclipse_execute_command is what you want to mess with.

btw, sometimes when I run _eclipse_execute_command I get a notification that "Command 'XXXXX' is either disabled or not handled. This is usually because the command is specific to a different editor".

The javadoc and Help topic touch on this problem, but basically Eclipse commands need handlers, and we can only execute those commands from within the SlickEdit editor for which we have a handler.  So for example, one reason why you would get this message is if you are trying to execute a command that is specific to the functionality in another editor...it won't work, we don't have the handler available. 

Be careful though, I think you might also get this error if you make a typo in the command name...so always double check.

- Ryan

davecazz

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
Hey Ryan,  thanks for your help in tracking this down.   about flex, mxml is a small subset of the functionality that flex builder users need. mxml allows programmers to create apps in an html like syntax that makes use of flash components. but lately, more core flash programmers have been migrating to flex builder to compile and debug their 100% actionscript projects. this may include flash assets that are bundled in an fla file created from flash cs3 but rarely include mxml files.

There are some major limitations to using the standard flex code editor (no aliases, etc) so I think this is a potential market for slickedit to get ahold of programmers that are new to eclipse and are looking for a high quality ide experience (and most don't have the typical biases of using the same editor for 100 year).

If you need any information on how we use flex to build as3 apps, let me know. I am very impressed by the way your team is really responsive to your customers and would be happy to help out in any way I can.

davecazz

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:45:56 PM »
Hey Ryan,

You mentioned that there is a javadoc somewhere with the internal macro c api. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »
You are looking for the javadoc for _eclipse_execute_command?  If you are programming and you have the Slick-C code tagged, you should be able to see the javadoc automatically within your code, just like you can for any Slick-C function.

When you type

Code: [Select]
_eclipse_execute_command(
as soon as you type that open paren the javadoc should pop-up.  If you have the auto code help turned off for that, you should still be able to hit Alt + , after you type the paren and it should come up on that key press.

You can always navigate to a Slick-C function to read it's in-code documentation by using the fp command:

Code: [Select]
fp _eclipse_execute_command
This will bring you to the prototype, where the javadoc comment is located.

Hope this helps.

- Ryan