Author Topic: Tagging .NET Framework 3.0/3.5  (Read 5229 times)

abushnell

Tagging .NET Framework 3.0/3.5
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:11:34 pm »
I am using the latest Visual Slick Edit working with C#/.NET. Our project is working with the .NET Framework 3.0/3.5 and not 2.0. When Visual Slick edit was installed, it create a .dotnet tag file, but off of 2.0. I am trying to update it to tag the later .NET Framework I have, but am not having luck.. I tried emptying the tag file Visual Slickedit created, then added the 3.-/3.5 stuff (or what I think is the stuff..) and now my intellisense in vslick in C# does not appear to work/be correct. For example, in my code I have a System.String object, but yet when I try to bring up intellisense on it, nothing show, if I select go to definition etc. on the System::String, it wants to bring me to a bunch of custom string implementations, but nowhere is the base system.string listed..

I am sure all this comes down to rebuilding the tag file correctly, I just have not been able to stumble upon the magic yet.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Matthew

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 44
Re: Tagging .NET Framework 3.0/3.5
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:24:01 pm »
Since .NET 3.0 and 3.5 are built on top of 2.0, you may as well include those DLLs.

My recommendation is the following:

1. Go to Tools > Tag Files dialog, and click the AutoTag button. Uncheck the C++ and Java tagging, make sure that .NET tagging is checked and that the v.2.0.50727 framework directory is in the Source box. Click Create tag file(s) to rebuild it.

2. Go back to the Tools > Tag Files dialog, and highlight the dotnet.vtg file under the C# Tag Files tree node (left side). You should see a list of all the v2.0.50727 DLLs and .xml files (right side). Click the Add Tree... button.

3. In the Add Tree dialog, first change the file types filter to *.dll;*.xml (you'll have to type it in). Then use the tree control to change to the C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework directory (v3.0 and v3.5 are under here), and click OK.

abushnell

Re: Tagging .NET Framework 3.0/3.5
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:45:29 pm »
Thanks, that did the trick :-)