Author Topic: Perforce setup  (Read 9508 times)

abushnell

Perforce setup
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:33:15 PM »
I am using Visual Slickedit version 13.0.2 and am having problems hooking Perforce into it. I have read the docs and searched the forum, but have not found what I am in need of.. .In short, I am not able to get a "perforce project" open in visual Slickedit to be able to work with our version control system. I am not sure if it is my client spec that is the problem or something obvious I am missing. Here is what is going on.

The version of Perforce I have is:  Rev. Perforce Visual Client/NTX86/2007.3/155579
I do have the SCC provider from perforce and it is setup and working just fine in Visual Studio 2008.

Ok, here is what I do:

I launch Visual Slick Edit
I goto Tools->Version Control->Setup
I Enable SCC Providers and select "Perforce SCM".
I select Initialize Provider
I then select "Open Project".
SlickEdit first prompts me with the Perforce Workspace connection dialog, which is fine and I am able to select the perforce client/workspace I work in.

I then get a second prompt which is to open a project, here is what I am not sure what to choose? and am unable to choose anything that would make sense for my setup...  My client spec setup in perforce looks something like:

Root: D:\dev\MyApp\
View:
    //depot/dev/Dir1/...  //MyPerforceSpecName/dev/Dir1/...
    //depot/dev/Dir2/... //MyPerforceSpecName/dev/Dir2/...
    //depot/dev/Dir3/... //MyPerforceSpecName/dev/Dir3/...
    //depot/dev/Dir4/...//MyPerforceSpecName/dev/Dir4/...
    //depot/Tools/Dir1/...//MyPerforceSpecName/Tools/Dir1/...
    //depot/Tools/Dir2/.. //MyPerforceSpecName/Tools/Dir2/...
    //depot/Tools/Dir3/...//MyPerforceSpecName/Tools/Dir3/...

when the open project comes up, it shows me the //depot as my root and I can expand and see dev and tools, but I cannot select any of that and have to select inside it to a one of the dirs under dev or Tools, which is not what I want. My project is all the above? 

Any thoughts/ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

abushnell

Re: Perforce setup
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:43:54 PM »
An update,when prompted for a "project" to open, in the open project, I selected one of the Directories under the //depot/dev tree that contains the source I work with mostly, and had it open that as the "project" not sure if that was correct or not, but it allows me to work with Perforce a bit now. 

Not sure if I am limited to just files in that part of my clientspec or if I can still open other files that are in other locations inside my perforce "tree" and will be able to check out etc.

chrisant

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 131
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »
I use p4.exe instead, and made a custom scm definition for Perforce (just fill in the appropriate p4 commands).

abushnell

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I had considered doing that as well. I eventually found out that the Open Project dialog is from Perforce and specifically the SCM plugin they provide for ID's in this case, the projet they want to open is the "visual studio" project so by selecting the directory where that resided,it worked fine... Although, I am not too sure how well it would have worked had I not been working with a Visual studio SLN in slickedit....