Author Topic: work flow suggestions  (Read 3617 times)

abushnell

work flow suggestions
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:33:27 pm »
I am reaching out to get some tips/tricks on a work flow between Visual Slicked 2008 13.0.2 and Visual Studio. My basic scenario is that we have a large solution (130+ projects) that is both MFC C++ code that also loads and executes manage C# code... I love working in Visual SLick Edit loading this solution, my question is related to work flow of debugging and building the solution from withing Visual SLick Edit. What techniques have people found to work well etc? I know I can update the main project settings to launch devenv as my debugger etc.. but was wondering if that is my "best" bet or do other things work?

Thanks,

Andrew

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: work flow suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 04:23:32 pm »
I don't have anything nearly that big, but I do something similar.  My preferred method is to simply open and edit (and sometimes build) in SE, build and debug under VS.  By that I mean that I keep them both running all the time.  The reason I only build sometimes in SE is that I'm stuck at 2005 for a while, and it's not particularly stable at building from the command line.  So I workaround that by doing a first build pass in VS, then try again in the same sandbox with SE.  Seems that the smaller number of files to build, the less likely VS is going to crash while doing a build from the command line.  Use the error/warning navigation tools SE provides as necessary.  When it builds cleanly, I just run it under VS directly, instead of trying to us SE as a front-end.

I have both SE and VS set to automatically reload externally modified files, and SE I have set to save automatically on loss of focus.