Author Topic: SE project files separated from the source, any practical solution?  (Read 3259 times)

cbretteville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Hi,
My apologies if this is something that has been posted previously (search didn't get me an answer to my question).

What I want to do seems simple enough, but I haven't been able to make it work that way I'd like:

* The source code files are in one sub-tree of the file system (under SVN control).
* I want the SE project and work place files in another branch as we don't all use SE (and I don't want to pollute the SVN directories).

I create a new project and workplace and tell SE to place the files where I want them.
I can't get SE to default to any other directory when working with files aother than this, even If I assign the project's working directory to where the source files are located SE always defaults to the directory where the  .vpj and .vpw files are.

(We're using a system of make files to build so no Visual studio files etc. to piggyback on.)

I find this really annoying.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
- Carl

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:27:42 pm by cbretteville »

evanratt

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: SE project files separated from the source, any practical solution?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 08:15:31 pm »
If setting the project's working directory isn't working for you, you can try something like this in your "Open" commands on the project properties dialog:
Code: [Select]
concur_command d:
concur_command cd \project
I use it (among other open commands to set up my workspace with our custom version control/build system) and it seems to work well.

-Evan

cbretteville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 2
Re: SE project files separated from the source, any practical solution?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:40 pm »
Evan,
That helps some, thanks. It doesn't work for the "add files to project" dialogue, but at lest it resets the default file|open folder to the source folder.
- Carl