Author Topic: How to export aliases  (Read 8563 times)

ichabooka

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
How to export aliases
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:53 AM »
I was evaluating the professional version, and I created a lot of aliases.  I decided to purchase the core plugin for eclipse, and I would like to move my existing aliases to the eclipse plugin version.  How do I do this?

Thanks,
Sean

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: How to export aliases
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
Hi Sean,

You will find files containing your aliases under your SlickEdit config directory (shown under Help > About SlickEdit).  Language-specific alias files all have a .als extension, and the global alias file is alias.slk.  To move your aliases over to Core, just copy any of these alias files which you wish to move from your SlickEdit config to your Core config.  You can find your Core config at Help > About SlickEdit Core.

- Ryan

ichabooka

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 04:27:31 AM »
Thanks!  I'll try that.

wsappington

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:55 PM »
Back on the forum after a long hiatus, was browsing the topics and thought I'd weigh in on this.  I use the SlickEdit base product (I guess what was being referred to as the "professional version") and Core for Eclipse.  For reasons we don't need to get into I sometimes switch back and forth between the two for Java code development.  Rather than maintain two sets of aliases and trying to keep them in sync, I went into the language extension dialog for Java in Core and pointed the alias file at the base product alias file ("C:\slickedit\myConfig\aliases\java.als" - I don't use the standard directory) rather than letting it default to the alias file in the Core config directory.  Now when I create or modify an alias in either version of the editor, both versions have access to it.  Been doing this for about a year now and so far there have been no problems with it.