Author Topic: adding folders/files  (Read 6218 times)

John

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
adding folders/files
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
Sorry, I know this is pretty basic but I've searched the docs and this forum and have not found the answer.

If I right-click on a folder in a in the Project view I see the New menu item. That item expands to New File, Files, Tree, ... Folder but all are greyed out. I've checked the properties of the files/folders and they are not read only. How can I add a file/folder to the project within SlickEdit?

Thanks,
John

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
Re: adding folders/files
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »
Those menu items will be enabled for standard SlickEdit projects.  My guess is you are using a Visual Studio solution which we do not allow adding custom folders to.  However, you can add files by right clicking on the project (.dsp or .vcproj) and selecting add files, or going to "Project" > "Project Properties..."

John

• Community Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »
Thanks for the response Dennis. The project was created with the GNU C/C++ Wizard. It's not a VS project so that's not the issue. I don't really understand what you mean by "standard SlickEdit" project.

I understand what you're saying by being able to add the file or folder to the project. I'd have to create them outside of the editor than add them to the project. I was hoping for a simplier way.

Again, thanks for the help.

John

Dennis

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 515
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
OK, after a little more research I see the problem.  Those menu items are only enabled if you are in "Custom" folder view.  They are disabled when you are in "Directory" or "Package" view.

I have a filed a change request to relax that restriction, at least for Directory view.  Hopefully this can be improved in a future release of SlickEdit.

John

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 12:41:03 AM »
Thank you.