Author Topic: build tag seems not work properly  (Read 1614 times)

sameplace

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
build tag seems not work properly
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:49:55 pm »
Hi vslick gurus,

I had a recent problem in my vslick. My version is 11.0.1 and O.S. is winXP.

It worked fine previously, but recently when I created new project and used "go to references", it can only show the reference within the file, not across multiple files. Previously, when I use "go to definition", it will switch between the definition in .h file and .cc file, but now it stuck in header file, and cannot go to the source file.

I did checked "build workspace tag file with references", and I tried rebuild the tag, and nothing helps.

But when I open my old project, the function of "go to references" and "go to definition" works. So I guess it now has problem of building the tag.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot,
Jia

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 226
Re: build tag seems not work properly
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:36:27 am »
Tagging is able to find references in the current buffer without a tag file or project so that's probably why it finds references within the current file but not in other files.

If you inspect the content of the tag file using Tools -> Tag files, does the tag file contain the list of files you expect it to?

Have you tried deleting the tag file completely (with slick closed) and re-building it?
Have you thought of upgrading to 11.0.2 and installing hotfixes?

Is there anything different about the project that works and the one that doesn't  - are they both C/C++?

If you create yet another new project with just a couple of files in it, does find references work?

Maybe you could try running slick from a temporary config folder like this
vs.exe +new -sc c:\temp\virgin-config\
then try opening the project for which tagging doesn't work and see if it works.

Graeme

sameplace

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: build tag seems not work properly
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:12 pm »
Hi Graeme,

Thanks a lot for your input!
I solved the problem and it is my stupid mistake.
When I created the project using "Add Tree...", the file filter somehow has been changed to "*.c;*.cxx;*.cpp;*.h;*.hpp;*.hxx;*.inl", not included ".cc" files. So all my src files are not added to the project.

Since my project includes 3000+ files and I did not notice this filter change. When I tried your suggest, just using 2 files to create a project, I realized the problem.

Thank you again,
Jia