Author Topic: Slick C stack on startup  (Read 9081 times)

DaveyC

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 9
Slick C stack on startup
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:33:34 AM »
I've just installed the core plugin for RDz V7.5, which is based on Eclipse 3.4. I'm getting the following
stack on startup... There are also some other funnies going on, like matching parenthesis not working...

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
Re: Slick C stack on startup
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:45 PM »
I'm not surprised that paren matching isn't working because after the stack your timers were probably disabled.  Most of the time when you have a stack like that, the editor will behave kind of flaky because it might be in a weird state.

After looking at the code, seems like one would get that error if Core was trying to load a dll module and couldn't find it in the VSLICKBIN path.  I'm not sure how exactly this would get messed up.  I believe that you also have standalone SlickEdit, right?  Have you ever done anything like using your SlickEdit config for your Core product?  Have you ever fiddled with the VSLICKBIN environment variable?  Do you have it set in Windows in your Environment Variable list?

I've attached a macro module that has a command which will spit out VSLICKBIN to a debug window.  Save the attached module, open it in Core, load it, and then run the command davey from the SlickEdit command line.  The value should be something like YOUR_ECLIPSE_DIR\plugins\com.slickedit.windows.libs_3.4.0\slickedit\win\.  Let me know what you find.

After seeing what VSLICKBIN is, you can try using a brand new default config.  Just copy your existing config directory somewhere and move it out of the way, and then start RDz back up.  Core should create a brand new config...does the stack still occur?

Let me know what you find.  Thanks.

- Ryan
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:45:19 PM by Ryan »

DaveyC

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:07 AM »
I've done no fiddling at all, but I do have two versions of RDz which use a common code base. I've run the command, unfortunately I couldn't
copy and paste the text...

DaveyC

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
Ryan, I renamed the slick core config directory and now everything is fine and dandy. Interestingly it picked up my old settings from the 3.3.1 config.
I'm confused to how it did that considering I renamed the directory? Anyway, it's all good and I'm happy! Thanks for the help...

BTW, you'll be happy to know that I'm advocating SlickEdit on the RDz forums. Hopefully you can pick up a few more sales. The really big value add is
the support for mainframe languages. However the asm390.tagdoc is seriously stale and needs to be updated. You can find the new instructions in the
z/Architecture Principles Of Operation manual here http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/r9pdf/#zarchpops. One of the biggest gripes RDz
users complain about is poor support for HLASM, which is one of many areas that SlickEdit excels at.

Ryan

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Hero Points: 77
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
Hmm, well, that's kind of a solution...I'm glad you're happy at least :).  When you run that same command now, do you get the same VSLICKBIN value (it looks valid to me)? 

If you don't mind, could you zip up your old config without the tagfiles directory (if you still have it), send it to support@slickedit.com, and reference my name and this thread in the e-mail?  I would like to see if I could figure out what is going on, and having the config would help...

BTW, you'll be happy to know that I'm advocating SlickEdit on the RDz forums. Hopefully you can pick up a few more sales.

Wow, thanks a lot  ;D.  That is very much appreciated, and I will make sure the asm tagdoc gets looked at....thanks for the link.

- Ryan