Author Topic: Problem transferring named license to new system  (Read 2633 times)

janvermeer

• New Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Problem transferring named license to new system
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:08:07 pm »
My company has issued me a new laptop (ThinkPad, XP), and I need to transfer my named user license from my old system.  I kept the mail with original license attachment, so I downloaded that into the win subdirectory under the SlickEdit 2008 directory on the new system.  I deactivated the license on the old system.  I started up Slickedit 2008 on the new system.  I got a pop up window with the message "No license found" and a set of options for acquiring a license.  I tried putting the license in the My SlickEdit Config\13.0.0 path under My documents, but I got the same result.

In order to be able to read the SlickEdit help on the old system, I downloaded the license file there again into the win subdirectory for the SlickEdit installation.  Now I am not able to deactivate the license there.

So I need to know how I can
1) Get SlickEdit to allow deactivation on the old system.
2) Get SlickEdit to find the license file on the new system

If I can do (2) without first doing (1), then that will suffice, because the hard drive on the old system will be wiped clean after I transfer the license anyway.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: Problem transferring named license to new system
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:19:22 pm »
Please upgrade to SlickEdit v13.0.2. This is a free upgrade to anyone who purchased v13.0. We have subsequently removed the activation licensing approach used in the v13.0 release. Using v13.0.2, you can download a portable license file that will allow you to use SlickEdit on any computer. That file and the installer for v13.0.2 should be available on your Registered Products page. Go to www.slickedit.com and login, the click the "Registered Products" Link.

You will not need to deactivate your old computer, since activations are no longer used.

If you don't see your product or license file, please call sales to see what's up:
1.800.934.EDIT (USA)