Author Topic: open file in project/ws without specifying the path?  (Read 4991 times)

kylog42

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
open file in project/ws without specifying the path?
« on: November 03, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »
I'd like to be able to open a file by specifying only the filename, not it's correct path, restricting the search to any file in the project (or optionally, workspace).  Is there an existing command/macro that will do this? Thanks!

Kylo

Wanderer

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 23
Re: open file in project/ws without specifying the path?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:40:26 PM »
I have a key combination that activates the Files toolbar with the "Current Project" filter selected (activate-files-project).  Start typing and the list is pared down to matching files.  Very handy.

kylog42

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
Just what I was looking for ... thanks!!

jbezem

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:42:41 PM »
Any chance this would work in VSE11?
Since I cannot find the toolbar in question, it may have been an addition in VSE12/13. And this may be the final addition nudging me to "upgrade"...

Thanks,

Johan

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:04:59 PM »
Here is a macro I wrote (Windows only) that provides an alternative to the built in Files toolbar in SE12/13.  It is written for use with SE13, and it may compile in SE12 (I don't remember).  Hopefully it wouldn't take you much effort to convert the macro portion of it to compile and work in SE11.  Most of it is actually a .DLL, there is actually very little macro code, so there's a good chance you can get it working in SE11.  If you do so, please send me your changes, and I'll incorporate them into the "official" version.

Dennis

• Hero Points: 515
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:46:26 PM »
That functionality in the Files tool window was designed to replace the "project-load" command that has been around since version 2.  However, the Files tool window is a lot more refined, so I would still recommend upgrading if you are still on v11, or v2, for that matter.  ;)