Author Topic: can't resize main window  (Read 5113 times)

windam

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
can't resize main window
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is slickedit or xp, so bear with me. 
I can't seem to resize slickedit's progam window.  The buffer windows resize fine.  Wnen I right click on the task bar icon, the options are restore and minimize.  Selecting restore causes the window to minimize.  Right clicking on it shows options for Move, Size, Minimize and Maximize.  Move and Size don't do anything.  Only Maximize makes it visible again. 
It sounds like a win xp bug, but I thought I'd ask just in case there was a slickedit setting for it.

Any suggestions are appreciated,

-win

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Re: can't resize main window
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
"Restore" might actually be offscreen, rather than minimized.  If that's the case, I don't have a fool-proof way to get it back.  You can try the Alt+Space, m, to enable Move, but if you don't know which way offscreen it is, it might be a bit difficult to figure out which way to move it to get it back.  Enabling Move should put the cursor over the title bar, so single click and drag might be able to get some of it visible.  You might try closing all your windows except SE, then Cascade your windows.  If all else fails, you can delete (or rename) the vslick.sta file in your config directory before you start SE.  You could also use the command line parameter mentioned on this forum many times to specify a new config dir, to test whether that's indeed the problem.

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »
Phil's right.  Alt+space, M should get you the "Move" command.  But XP usually shows a 4-headed arrow which indicates where the window is.  So "restore" the window to normal size, then do the "move" thing.  If the window is off the left of the screen, the 4h arrow will be on the left, and similar for other sides.

windam

• Junior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »
Cascade windows seems to do the trick.  BTW, I tried using move and size for other application windows such as explorer and mspaint and move and size did work as expected either.  I had upgraded to xp sp3, so something got messed up.
At least cascade causes SE to get resized, so I can work with that.

Thanks all!

-win

jimlangrunner

• Hero Points: 31
  • Jim Lang - always a student.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 01:15:51 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up.  I'll put "Cascade" in my little bag to carry around.  It's probably easier than trying to "move" a window from offscreen as well.  Now, if I can just remember it next time.......   ::)