Author Topic: SlickEdit stops responding when file dialog is shown  (Read 14159 times)

Graeme

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 347
Re: SlickEdit stops responding when file dialog is shown
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
It turns out that Slick 2009 still has the alternative file open dialog.  If you want to try it, on the slick cmd line, type set-var then def_fast_open and change it from zero to one.  Then try opening a file or workspace  - it should work for you if smart open works.  Another possibility is to click the "find file" button at the bottom of the file open dialog and open a file that way.  I have WinXP SP3 same as you with no problems.

I don't have any more suggestions really, except you could look at how Mark Russinovich debugged a problem with the file open dialog.  He used Windbg.  http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2006/11/27/532465.aspx.

Is your disk drive busy when the file open dialog hangs?  If you do File -> Save as, can you browse up and down the directory tree or scroll?  You could try a drive mapping  e.g. subst z: c:\somepath (type it in the build window) and see if the file open dialog lets you get at your files through z:.  You could try process monitor to see what's happening on your system when the file open dialog hangs http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

You say you can navigate upwards without problems.  Can you open a file from a higher directory or any other directory?  If you temporarily remove all the files from the folder that you can't scroll in and replace with something else, can you scroll or open them?

Graeme

allank

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Re: SlickEdit stops responding when file dialog is shown
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
The alternative file open dialog works. No problems with either file opening or Projects. When I get a chance, I'll try some of your other suggestions.

Thanks, Graeme, for your efforts in finding a workaround.

Allan