Author Topic: SlickEdit 2008 on Fedora 10  (Read 4128 times)

dashley

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
SlickEdit 2008 on Fedora 10
« on: December 05, 2008, 03:40:33 pm »
When SlickEdit (13.0.2 with hot fixes) is installed on Fedora 10 there is a problem. SE does not always display icons in both the tool bar and other dialogs that use icons. On the toolbar, the button is there along with its underlying functionality, but no icon is displayed. On the file open dialog the subdirectory hierarchy listing displays one or two subdir icons but most are missing.

None of this seems to impact SE's functionality. It is just very annoying.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
Re: SlickEdit 2008 on Fedora 10
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:43:20 pm »
I checked with Product Support. We have had one other report of this problem, but we can not reproduce it on our own instances of Fedora 10. Can you post a screen shot? Are the icons completely missing, or is there a blank space where the icons should be?

I recall some years ago a problem on Windows where a graphic card couldn't draw some icons. An updated driver was the solution in that case.

I wonder if the X Server could be an issue. Can you try a different one (he asked not knowing whether this is even possible)?

Anyone else got an idea?

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:29:12 am »
I have the same problem.  I upgraded from FC8 to FC10.  Slick was missing the buttons when I restarted.  I removed the installation completely (I think- deleted /opt/slickedit, and .slickedit)  and reinstalled.  Same problem.  If you have a suggestion of how to try a different X server, I'll be willing...

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 01:45:48 am »
Some other hints:  Most, but not all of the folder icons in the open pane are missing.  And those in the open pane appear or disappear if I top the window, or select a folder.  If I minimize a source file, the S|e icon is there.  But no other icons.  If I right click on the tool bar and select customize., under the categories tab, there are no icons.  Choosing small, medium or large toolbar buttons doesn't make anything appear.  Are there any other files or debug logs I can look at?

ChuckInDodgeville

• Community Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:38:51 pm »
Here's an update (pardon the pun).  It's now 5 days later.  I allowed Fedora to install a collection of updates, and I rebooted, and now Slick looks right.   I wonder if the other posters did a clean install of Fedora, or an update?  While Fedora allows you to do updates, the Fedora forums seem to answer every "I did an update and it wasn't right" with "Why did you update?  better to do a clean install."

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:12:01 pm »
I'm glad you have resolved this one. I wish I could think of why an update would cause this and why a clean install would fix it. It's a mystery we're not likely to solve soon.  ???