Author Topic: Why no conventional file explorer?  (Read 3224 times)

Ben

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 0
Why no conventional file explorer?
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:19:51 am »
hi
almost every more advanced editor out there has something like a file explorer.

File explorer:
1. a tree
2. in sync with the file system
3. docks (mostly) at the left side.
4. basic file operations (renaming,...)

I completely do not understand why this is missing in SE. And yes I'm aware of the 'Open' tab or the 'Files' tool.

Besides, this 4 features would also be necessary for a usable 'Projects' tab. But in SE I always have to manually sync the file tree if I add a file outside of SE.

Yes I'm annoyed and I'm getting more and more tired of slickedit.

ben
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:22:57 am by Ben »

afflictedd2

Re: Why no conventional file explorer?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 12:06:00 am »
I don't know, but there are some macros that do some of the stuff.
http://www.alexandersandler.net/slickedit-macros

I agree that some of the stuff should actually be part of slickedit.

zammazingo

• Community Member
  • Hero Points: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:01:35 am »
I vote for this one too.

I have been thinking that there is one in slick edit but i cant find it.

I like current files window, it makes search by file names real easy. But having a tree like window with options like renaming would be a good addition.
Thanks alot.

ScottW, VP of Dev

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 64
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:50:24 pm »
Thanks for the request. Our Open tool window is designed for this purpose. It provides the directories in a tree view. The files are in a separate pane to facilitate filtering. You can type a pattern in the File Name field, like *.html, to filter the list to just that set of files. You can also type a path to change the directory: "c:\src\foo". This list does synchronize with the file system, but you have to switch applications to pickup the changes--we don't have a background thread that goes looking for new files. It is dockable on the left and works well on the bottom. And it has all the basic file operations--right-click to see the operations.

Can you share more about why this isn't meeting your needs?

Some have complained that the Open tool window is upside-down. Indeed, that's the same reaction I had when I first saw it. The reason for this presentation is that we wanted to have the file list as close to the filter as possible. Plus, people tend to work with a number of files in a directory more often than changing directories, and they change directories more often than changing drives--so this puts the most frequently used category at the top.

The Project tool window is a whole other creature. It is designed to list the files in your projects. It really isn't about browsing the disk. So, I thinik any desired changes are probably best made against the Open tool window. Please correct me on this if you think otherwise.

In terms of synchronizing your project file list with files added externally, you should look at the "Add Wildcard" capability, Project > Project Properties > Add Wildcard. This lets you define a series of filespecs that are searched for files. These are searched each time SlickEdit is launched, so the number and location of filespecs can add some latency to starting SlickEdit.

We are definitely looking into adding background threads to search for new and modified files.

We really want to make sure these capabilities support our customers' workflows. So, please share anything you can about this.  Thanks!

Dennis

• SlickEdit Team Member
  • Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 438
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:20 pm »
On most platforms you can do "Tools" > "OS File Browser" to bring up a native file browser in the editor's current directory.  You can then drag and drop to SlickEdit to open the files.  I say "most platforms" because there are many variants of Linux where all the good pieces/parts are missing.  The name of the command is "explore" -- bind it to a key if that is your preferred way to browse for and open files.  Yes, this is not integrated into the editor as tightly as one might like, but keep in mind that SlickEdit is a cross-platform tool.  Except Eclipse, "almost every more advanced editor" is a Windows only product.