Author Topic: Hotfix Feature Request: Hotfix changelog  (Read 7259 times)

Phil Barila

• Senior Community Member
  • Hero Points: 61
Hotfix Feature Request: Hotfix changelog
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:05 PM »
Would it be possible to add a changelog to either the hotfix zip itself, or to the download page(s)?  Some bugfixes are important enough (address one of my peeves ;D) to stop what I'm doing and update right now, and others can wait until I get more of a break from what I'm doing.  But it's pretty difficult to tell the difference from one hotfix to the next without comparing the hotfix.xml inside both.

Please?   :D

Wanderer

• Hero Points: 23
Re: Hotfix Feature Request: Hotfix changelog
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:05:50 PM »
http://www.slickedit.com/content/view/535

This page lists all the files changed, and what the changes address.  What's missing?

Phil Barila

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »
I'd really like to see the delta between hotfixes.

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:58:02 AM »
From what I've seen, newly hotfixed files are added to the bottom of the list of hotfixed files.  Are you just looking for a header line before each additional set of files?  Something like the following?

hotfix r6
- Foo.e - blah blah fixed.
- Bar.e - xyzzy fixed.
hotfix r7
- Foo.e - another bleh fixed.
- Jingle.e - new gromfuzzle added.

Phil Barila

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
Something like that.  I don't use FTP, so if the current hotfix only updates FTP support, I may never get around to it.  If it's a fix for tagging issues, I'm going to install it immediately.  But unless you compare the previous hotfix zip to the current one, it's impossible to tell whether the last file, or the last 3 files were changed in the most recent hotfix.

lambertia

• Hero Points: 14
  • I have nothing sufficiently witty to say.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »
Of course you could argue that it take more effort to compare the hotfixes than it would just to install them  ;D

chrisant

• Hero Points: 131
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 07:30:23 PM »
unless you compare the previous hotfix zip to the current one, it's impossible to tell whether the last file, or the last 3 files were changed in the most recent hotfix
I open the .zip file, sort by date, and look at the files changed since the last time I picked up hotfixes.  Since I have my entire installation under source control, it is always easy to find the last time I picked up hotfixes.

It appears there is now a change to how SE chooses the compiler tag file when looking up tags.  I didn't look at it closely, but might solve the problem where tag lookups were sometimes (or maybe "always, but only for some people"?) looking in all compiler tag files instead of in the specific compiler tag file for the current project.  I picked up the r15 hotfixes, but haven't tested yet to see whether the compiler tag file issue is fixed -- I just observed that apparently something seemingly related has been changed a fair amount.

Phil Barila

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:41:32 PM »
Of course you could argue that it take more effort to compare the hotfixes than it would just to install them  ;D
Yeah, that's why I usually just wait until I am going to exit SE anyway.  Unless I read here that one of my peeves has been addressed ...   :D